Monday, July 30, 2012

My Tour Guide


We had a wonderful but crazy week last week in the Allison household.  With dad away at a training session and the girls and I with one of the craziest schedules in history, I was facing the week with a little dread.  The girls had swimming lessons every morning that required us to be at the pool from 10:30-12:15.  We also had VBS every night that required us to leave home by 5:30 and return about 9:30…way past bedtime!  Then throw in a house showing one day and you have a little chaos. 

Thankfully we made it with relatively few bumps and with being able to see God’s hand walk us through the craziness.  The girls were exhausted every day at naptime and at bedtime.  I will have to say my laundry didn’t all get done on my usual schedule, but the house was fairly clean and “show ready” when the potential buyers arrived on Thursday afternoon. 

Although swimming lessons were fun, the highlight of everyday was definitely VBS!  Both of my girls had an absolute ball.  I got teary eyed on several occasions as I watched excited kids singing loudly about Jesus.  There was so much joy and enthusiasm it warmed my heart more than I could have ever imagined.  I was overjoyed as the memories of my own VBS years flooded my mind, and now these children (including my own) were making the same memories.  We sang VBS songs around the house all day, and I know we will continue for weeks to come.  

I was excited for my first VBS experience at our new church as well.  I was considered a “tour guide” for the 4 year olds.  We visited several stops every night (rally time, Bible story time, craft time, snack time, play time, and pick-up time), and it was our job as tour guides to make sure our groups got to the right place at the right time.  I immediately fell in love with all my children (which we had  16 or 17 four year olds every night). 

Yes they were very excited.  Yes they were sometimes a little hard to keep quiet and in line.  But they were all so unbelievably adorable, I didn’t mind the craziness of guiding them from one stop to the next.  (Even bathroom breaks went relatively smoothing but still proved to be very interesting...the stories I could tell would probably make you laugh really hard!) 

On the third night of VBS, we had several new visitors.  One little boy stood out with his huge blue eyes and a slight look of anxiousness.  I kept counting heads during rally time, (I didn't want my little ones running far.  It was hard to stay in our seats with all the excitement)  and I noticed the face of  our new little visitor looked very scared.  I went and put my arm around him and assured him we were going to have fun.  I started singing the songs with him and before too long he had relaxed and was joining in on the fun.  Then it was time to line up and head to the next stop.  His frightened look returned and he ran and grabbed for my hand.  He asked with pleading eyes, "Are you going to leave me now?"  I almost cried with him right on the spot.  I promised him I would not leave him all night long.  I vowed that I would be with him until the very end.  With each stop he would loosen up and start participating, but the question always came when it was time to move.  At the end of the night he was still by my side holding my hand as we made our last stop.  He promised me he had had a lot of fun.  I told him how proud I was of him for doing all the fun things throughout the night.  

My little friend has been on my mind a lot since our only meeting.  I pray for him and his family.  I pray that if they do not have a church home they will come to visit us soon.  I also pray that as he gets older, he will remember all he learned about Jesus during his visit to VBS.  I also pray that he will come to know that Jesus can be his Ultimate "Tour Guide".  Jesus can and will be with him through every stop, every turn, and every detour that he encounters.

I am so thankful to know the Ultimate Tour Guide.  I know God is guiding me.  I know that no matter how insignificant I feel, He knows me and loves me.  He cares about what is happening in my life.  And He is beside me where ever the road of life takes me.  He is holding my hand and He will never ever fail me nor forsake me (Josh 1:5)!  He is my Stronghold.  He is my Comforter when I am feeling anxious and a little out of place.  He is my Guide.  

Today's Verse
"And the LORD shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought..."  Isaiah 58:11a

Even when we don't feel or see God's hand working in our lives, we must remember we are walking by faith not by sight.( 2 Cor 5:7) God is there with us every step of the way..."continually" guiding us.  We can find rest in that fact, knowing by faith He is there no matter what!  Some "stops" in life are so painful and can seem to last way too long, but God is helping me every step of the way, and for that I am forever grateful to my Tour Guide for His love, support, and of course His guidance!



No comments:

Post a Comment