Wednesday, May 8, 2013

What's Cookin' Wednesday

So if you can read this...thank a teacher!

If your teacher was your mom, then she should get double treats this week!

It is Teacher Appreciation week, and we should be loving on our children's teachers extra this week!  I can tell you the names and picture the faces of every teacher I ever had from Kindergarten to my Senior year.  Now my college professors...not so much.  There are several I remember, but that relationship you have with your childhood teachers is never quite the same in a college setting. I was blessed to have wonderful teachers, and I am thankful for every single one of them...my school teachers and my Sunday school teachers.  And although I was not home-schooled, I am thankful for my mom who taught me about life, love, our heavenly Father and my first teacher in the kitchen :)

I made a delicious Amish bread recipe for our wonderful Kindergarten teachers that I saw on Pintrest...audible Gasp is allowed here since I generally do not go on Pintrest.  I did find out that if you sign up...which yes I did, but I will probably never follow or pin anything :), but they send you a weekly email about what might interest me.  And of course for me that is recipes.  I have been amazed at some of the ideas and recipes I have received in the last two weeks.  This bread recipe requires no starter or yeast, and was super yummy.  I made a trial batch last week and then another batch this week to give the teachers.  It does make two loaves but could easily be halved to make one.

This is a simple recipe and would be a great time to let your little one pull up a chair and help out!  I hope your family enjoys!

1 cup (2 sticks) of butter at room temperature
2 cups of sugar
2 eggs
2 cups of buttermilk
4 cups of flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 tsp vanilla (This was not called for but I added)


2/3 cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup brown sugar (This was not called for by I added after the trial run...I love brown sugar with cinnamon.)

Cream together butter, 2 cups of sugar, and eggs.  Add milk and flour and baking soda.  I alternated between flour and milk...1 cup flour then 1/2 cup milk...then repeated until all was added and incorporated.  Put 1/4 of batter into bottom of two greased loaf pans.  In a separate bowl combine sugars and cinnamon.  Swirl 1/4 of mixture into batter.  Top with remaining batter and swirl with remaining sugar mixture.  Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes.  It is soft with a good crusty top.  Great served warm!


Today's Verses
Titus 2:3-5

3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;
4 That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,
5 To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.


No comments:

Post a Comment