Monday, December 12, 2011

Jesus is my Shepherd

Busy Busy Busy Bees...I know that is what we all are.  The count down is on and it is less than two weeks until the big day.  I know many will not have time to read the blogs.  And I know my time is short on typing.  So I will be sharing popular Christmas stories on the days when I can post.  They will be sure to warm our hearts and help us remember what this season is all about.

My daughter warmed my heart today as we prepared the final touches for the gifts we purchased for another family.  She wanted to give away one of her Christmas story books about our Savior's birth.  It is just a simple paperback book filled with the true reason for us to celebrate.  She was really concerned that the little girl that will receive our gifts and her family might not know about the reason for Christmas.  "Mommy I want her to have this book in case her family does not know about Jesus.  They need to know about Him." were her sweet words to me.  So we slipped the book in a bag along with the candy canes story and a couple of those delicious peppermint treats.  I pray my daughter always has a heart for sharing about Christ's love, and I pray for this family we will probably never meet.  I pray they will learn about His love and His sacrifice if they don't already know Him.

Today's Verse
"The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want"  Psalms 23:1




The LEGEND of the Candy Cane 
A Candymaker in Indiana wanted to make a candy that would help us remember who Christmas is really about. So he made a Christmas Candy Cane. He incorporated several symbols for the birth, ministry, and death of Jesus Christ.
He began with a stick of pure white, hard candy. White to symbolize the virgin birth and sinless nature of Jesus. Hard candy to symbolize the solid rock, the foundation of the Church, and firmness of the promises of God.
The candymaker made the candy in the form of a "J" to represent the name of Jesus. It also represented the staff of the "Good Shepherd".
The candymaker then included red stripes. He used three small stripes and a large red stripe to represent the suffering Christ endured at the end of his life.



The true meaning of the Candy Cane


Look at the Candy Cane
What do you see?
Stripes that are red
Like the blood shed for me

White is for my Savior
Who's sinless and pure!
"J" is for Jesus My Lord, that's for sure!

Turn it around
And a staff you will see
Jesus my shepherd
Was born for Me!




No comments:

Post a Comment