Wednesday, November 14, 2012

What's Cookin' Wednesday

This was an absolute childhood favorite...Hamburger Turnovers!

I would love rolling out the biscuits and helping my mom prepare these little bundles of hamburger bliss.  I was a picky child, so I am sure she liked having something I would eat!  When I was younger we made these with two biscuits each, but now I only use one biscuit and have double the amount.  These freeze well or are great as next day lunch!  Also, I have an alternative to french fries...roasted asparagus.  My husband, who is a major french fry fanatic even loves my roasted asparagus.  And then finally, just in time for Thanksgiving, we have a chocolate chip pumpkin cookie.  I can take no credit for this recipe as it is from Taste of Home and I have not altered it in any way.  My mom prefers these without the chocolate chips, but my girls love love love these cookies.  A yummy meal that is super easy!  I hope your family enjoys!

Turnovers

8 large canned biscuits (like Grands Pilsbury)
1 - 1 1/2  lb browned hamburger (cooked with salt and onion powder and drained)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp onion powder or 1/2 of real onion cooked with hamburger if preferred
2 cups favorite shredded cheese (one of my girls prefers cheddar the other mozzerela so this can be altered for their specific likes)

Roll biscuits out until about 7-8 inches round.  Fill one half with about 1/3 cup hamburger meat and sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese.  Fold remaining half of dough over hamburger and press with fork.  Bake on cookie sheet for 20-25 minutes or until browned at 375 degrees.





Asparagus

Cut ends off of asparagus and rinse well.  Line a jelly roll pan with tin foil and spray with olive oil.  In a single layer place asparagus   Spay with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic and italian seasoning.  (When I fix these with Chinese food I substitute the garlic and italian seasoning with ginger and they are delicious as well!)  Bake in 400 degree oven for 12-18 minutes!




Pumpkin Chocolate chip cookies


Ingredients

  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup quick-cooking oats
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Directions

  • In a bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, oats, baking soda and cinnamon; stir into creamed mixture alternately with pumpkin. Fold in chocolate chips.
  • Drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-13 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4 dozen.




Today's Verses
"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee:  for my strength is made perfect in weakness...for when I am weak, then am I strong."  2 Corinthians 12:9a and 10b

No comments:

Post a Comment