Wednesday, November 28, 2012

What's Cookin' Wednesday!

So technically this should be on the leftover page, but it turned out so good, leftovers was the last thing we were thinking of!!!!  I have seen recipes for enchilada soup, but have never tried it.  The Saturday after Thanksgiving I decided to pull out the leftover turkey and come up with a soup with what I had on hand.  It was scrumptious if I say so myself ;-)

I cooked this in the crockpot on high for about 3 1/2 hours, but it could be done on low for about 5-6 hours or on the stovetop on low for an hour or so.  For the toppings we added cheddar cheese, crushed tortillas and homemade guacamole.

Soup

19 oz can enchilada sauce
1 cup water or chicken stock
15 oz can whole corn
15 oz can tomatoes with chilies (I used chipotle chilies but you can use green chilies as well)
15 oz can black beans - rinsed and drained
15 oz can pinto beans - rinsed and drained
2 tsp cumin
1 - 1 1/2 tsp garlic, cilantro, onion powder, salt and lime juice
2 cups cooked and chopped turkey or chicken
2 diced and seeded jalapeno

I took out the girls' portions about 30 minutes before we ate and kept warm.  I then added the jalapeno for more heat.  The soup was good without the jalapenos, but we like heat.  You could also add pickled jalapenos or 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper.  You may want to adjust the seasonings to your families' liking.


Guacamole

2 avocados
1 chopped and seeded jalapeno or 2 Tbsp pickled jalapeno
1 tsp lime juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp cilantro

I use an immersion blender which makes the guacamole creamy but with a few chunks.  It is fantastic with just chips, but it is super with this soup!



I hope your family enjoys...and definitely don't call it leftovers!!!!

Today's Verse and the girls' verse for the week...
"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."  Romans 10:9



No comments:

Post a Comment