Thursday, May 23, 2013

Not My Goliath

Fear paralyzed me as I watched the news of the Oklahoma tornadoes.  My heart broke as I watched all I could before turning it off.  I have to be honest, I haven't read or watched too much of the coverage.  It makes me dream of the horrible day it happened at my elementary school.  There was not the devastation and loss of life like just occurred, but there was grief and fear because of the loss of our home.  I was safe at school, but scared.  I remember praying.  I remember the doors at the end of the hallway bursting open with the wind.  My parents were safe at home in the closet, but the house didn't make it.  The Lord blessed us that day with our safety.

There are those that have lost loved ones this week, and there is nothing we can do but pray and offer our support.  We can't understand why.  We can't fathom why bad things happen.  But our heavenly Father can comfort us and give us peace even during the most horrific times.

His light can shine through the cracks of every tragedy.

My Goliath seems like an ant compared to the obstacles these families will face in the coming weeks, months, and even years for those who lost loved ones.  My Goliath seems selfish and insignificant to say the least.  But we all do have a Goliath we are facing now. Our own stressful situation, a fear, a prayer that hasn't been answered, a tragedy, a hurt so big that a small stone and sling does not seem like enough to fight.  But we will be victorious.  We definitely can fight with whatever God equips us with, and we will not let the Satan win!  We trust in the One who can beat Goliath with the smallest of weapons.

I was armed with a devotion this morning that touched me deeply.  It calmed my heart and as always, provided the words I needed to hear...

From the girls' devotion this morning... Day 365 (sniff, sniff) from VeggieTales 365 Day Starter Devos for Girls... "Sometimes, the hardest thing to do is to wait.  This is especially true when we're in a hurry and when we want things to happen now, if not sooner!  But God's plan does not always happen in the way that we would like or at the time of our own choosing.  Still, God always knows best."

Words I needed to conquer my Goliath.  Words to comfort me.

I love it when a devotion meant for my little ones can calm this mama's heart.

Today's Verse
"That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God."
1 Corinthians 2:5

We may not ever understand the bad things that happen in our lives as well as the lives of others.  We might not be able to understand why God makes us wait.  But we do know our faith must rest in the power of God.  With Him we will be able to face and defeat any Goliath!


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! Thank you God for being bigger than our problems and helping us to face & defeat our Goliath's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a fear of tornadoes and I live in Southwest VA where we rarely get any. The devastation you see on TV is heartbreaking but you are so right. God is bigger and everything works for the good of those who fear him (Romans 8:8) Thank you for this wonderful post and wonderful reminder to me today. We don't have all the answers and this is why we are dependent on our Holy God who does. I am taking away what you said, "His light can shine through the cracks of every tragedy." That is full of so much truth. Love it! Have a super blessed weekend, sister.
    KRISTY AIKEN (OBS GROUP LEADER)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the part of your post where you talked about how our problems seem so small compared to others, like those in Oklahoma. I think that I am guilty of thinking things like, "But that is such a little thing. Why should I bother God with it?" Then I try to take care of it myself. I sometimes don't stop to think that God cares about EVERYTHING in my life- even what may seem small to me. I just need to remember to call on him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From the girls' devotion this morning... Day 365 (sniff, sniff) from VeggieTales 365 Day Starter Devos for Girls... "Sometimes, the hardest thing to do is to wait. This is especially true when we're in a hurry and when we want things to happen now, if not sooner! But God's plan does not always happen in the way that we would like or at the time of our own choosing. Still, God always knows best." Thanks for sharing this today because today is one of those uncertain days and and there are more questions than answers and I must realize that my faith as you said must rest in the power of God.

    ReplyDelete