Wednesday, May 8, 2013

What's Cookin' Wednesday

So if you can read this...thank a teacher!

If your teacher was your mom, then she should get double treats this week!

It is Teacher Appreciation week, and we should be loving on our children's teachers extra this week!  I can tell you the names and picture the faces of every teacher I ever had from Kindergarten to my Senior year.  Now my college professors...not so much.  There are several I remember, but that relationship you have with your childhood teachers is never quite the same in a college setting. I was blessed to have wonderful teachers, and I am thankful for every single one of them...my school teachers and my Sunday school teachers.  And although I was not home-schooled, I am thankful for my mom who taught me about life, love, our heavenly Father and my first teacher in the kitchen :)

I made a delicious Amish bread recipe for our wonderful Kindergarten teachers that I saw on Pintrest...audible Gasp is allowed here since I generally do not go on Pintrest.  I did find out that if you sign up...which yes I did, but I will probably never follow or pin anything :), but they send you a weekly email about what might interest me.  And of course for me that is recipes.  I have been amazed at some of the ideas and recipes I have received in the last two weeks.  This bread recipe requires no starter or yeast, and was super yummy.  I made a trial batch last week and then another batch this week to give the teachers.  It does make two loaves but could easily be halved to make one.

This is a simple recipe and would be a great time to let your little one pull up a chair and help out!  I hope your family enjoys!

1 cup (2 sticks) of butter at room temperature
2 cups of sugar
2 eggs
2 cups of buttermilk
4 cups of flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 tsp vanilla (This was not called for but I added)


2/3 cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup brown sugar (This was not called for by I added after the trial run...I love brown sugar with cinnamon.)

Cream together butter, 2 cups of sugar, and eggs.  Add milk and flour and baking soda.  I alternated between flour and milk...1 cup flour then 1/2 cup milk...then repeated until all was added and incorporated.  Put 1/4 of batter into bottom of two greased loaf pans.  In a separate bowl combine sugars and cinnamon.  Swirl 1/4 of mixture into batter.  Top with remaining batter and swirl with remaining sugar mixture.  Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes.  It is soft with a good crusty top.  Great served warm!


Today's Verses
Titus 2:3-5

The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;
That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,
To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.


No comments:

Post a Comment