Wednesday, September 12, 2012

What's Cookin' Wednesday!

I have a cooking confession...I have never made homemade mashed potatoes.  Being a southern girl, that sounds so terrible.  I have watched my mom make it hundreds of times, but I had not every made them myself.  My husband loves homemade mashed potatoes as does my oldest daughter.  But they only get them at my mom's.  I am not a fan of any mashed potatoes, and I just never tried to make it.  And another confession...I have used instant potatoes.  My family says they are not that bad, but I know they are not the same.  So last night I tried to make them on my own.  I did not look at a recipe.  I just remembered watching my mom and the result was surprisingly good.  I even liked them and my daughter said they were delicious.  My husband was jealous because he wasn't home to sample them :(  I am so glad they turned out good and not like paste!

I simply boiled 4 white potatoes that I had peeled and quartered.  I added 1 Tbsp of butter and a sprinkle of salt and pepper to the water.  I drained the potatoes after they were fork tender and then added another Tbsp of butter and about 1/4 cup of skim milk.  I added the milk gradually while I used the electric mixer.  YAY for homemade!


Also, with my hubby out of town for a night, that means I can have fish!  Yummy!  He is not a fan of any seafood, so I wait until he is gone to cook seafood I love.  I made a delicious tin foil packet with a frozen salmon filet, fresh spinach, 1/3 cup of frozen pepper and onion mix, and a roma tomato.  This could be made with pretty much any fish or with chicken.

I layered the spinach then fish and followed by the peppers and tomatoes.  I did spray the foil with olive oil and sprayed each layer with olive oil as well.  I also sprinkled salt, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and a pinch of red pepper flakes (use as little or none depending on your spice level).  I baked in the oven for about 25 minutes at 350 degrees.  I then opened the packet and broiled for a few minutes.  You must keep your eye on the dish when broiling!  It turned out very good!  Easy, quick, and no clean-up!





Today's Verses
"But Jesus said unto them, They need not depart; give ye them to eat.  And they say unto him, We have here but five loaves and two fishes.  He said, Bring them hither to me.  And he commanded the multitude to sit down on the grass, and took the five loaves, and the two fishes, and looking up to heaven, he blessed and brake, and gave the loaves to his disciples, and the disciples to the multitude.  And they did all eat, and were filled:"  Matthew 14:16-20a

No comments:

Post a Comment