Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Continuing after the hurt

I love to cook, and I have always loved to cook as long as I can remember.  I know I have told you all before about making supper for my mom and me, having a "Kim and Candice Cooking Show" after school, and looking through countless recipe books on a Saturday afternoon to find a new dessert to make for Sunday.  I have had many scary moments while cooking.  There have been the near house fires from hot grease, the burnt meals as well as burnt fingers, hands, and arms, the scratches and even deep cuts.  But through all the pain and hurt that I have experienced while cooking, I have kept on cooking.

I am typing this with two fresh cooking wounds that will be my battle scars.  I experienced my worse cooking burn that I have ever experienced on Sunday morning.  My arm will more than likely be forever scarred with this one and a half inch burn across my forearm.  Then this morning while peeling potatoes for supper, I managed to cut my finger badly with the peeler.  I don't handle blood well so I have bandaged it the best I can and will wait for my hubby to return this evening to really assess the damage.  And although it is throbbing I will still cook lunch and finish supper when the time comes.

My new love is writing.  And yes there is pain in that as well.  People may not like the thoughts I jot down on this post, or the last post, or even a post to come.  I have had articles rejected.  I am not sure exactly what the Lord will have me to do with this new love.  But, with the pains of the "no's" and the "I didn't like how you said that", I keep typing because these ideas and stories pop in my head.

Life is full of physical and emotional pain as well.  Our family can hurt our feelings.  A friend might betray us.  A coworker may try to get us in trouble.  Even our Christian family can cause emotional pain.  But we have to keep going.  We must forgive and we must move on.  Keep it up and never quit.

We love our family even after the hurt.  We forgive our friends even after the betrayal.  We pray for the coworker even after we've been wronged.  And we keep serving God even when one of His children causes us pain.  We are all sinners and we have to remember we will be hurt just like we will likely hurt someone ourselves.

If we keep on after the pain, the Lord will surely bless us.  He has forgiven us and we must forgive others as His Word clearly says.

Today's Verse
"But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed."  James 1:25

We can't just hear about what we should do, we have to be a "doer of the work".  I love that title.  God's Word is the "perfect law" and it is our job to not just hear about it, but to do it.  And He promises us blessings if we follow and do as His Word commands.

Keep on keeping on...no matter the pain and hurt we face we have to continue the work we have been called to do.  For me, I will keep on raising my children through the frustrating days, keep on cooking through the injuries, keep on typing after the no's, and keep on serving in God's church after the hurts.


On a side note about fulfilling what you have been called to do...I had to take a spiritual gifts test earlier this year.  Through this process I started receiving a daily devotion focused toward workplace believers.  It has touched my heart in a lot of ways, and I know it has touched my husband as well who is a workplace believer in a public job.  If you would be interested in checking it out the website is below.

http://msg4svc.net/servlet/Pv?c=703d63676926733d3937353534266d3d3226743d4826723d542664613d30267469643d30

No comments:

Post a Comment