Monday, May 13, 2013

Treasure Box

Just one short year ago, my husband and girls surprised me with a wonderful treasure worth more than any piece of jewelry or cooking gadget they could ever get me.  They had my Grandmother's hope chest redone for me.  My husband found a man that restores antiques, and he was able to make it beautiful, fix the broken hinge and take off the lock.  It is amazing how it still smells like cedar!  My Grandmother never throws anything away, and she still had the original little booklet that came with the piece of furniture.  I am the only grandchild my Grandmother has, and it was a blessing to have a piece of her history.

The girls were super excited this mother's day.  My oldest didn't even have to be reminded by Daddy...she came bouncing in the bed saying "Happy Mother's Day Mom!  I love you!".  Super sweet!  She had drawn pictures, made cards, and wrapped them all up herself.  They had made hand print paintings with the help of dad (Which means so much to this mama) and of course got me a few kitchen things.  As they climbed in and out of the bed by using the hope chest as their stepping helper, I couldn't help be notice there are already some scratches.  It is already showing some signs of wear and tear.

I certainly did not get upset or angry when looking at the scratches and marks. I smiled as I thought of how I will look at those scratches and remember them bouncing into our bed, watching the girls use the chest as a pirate ship, rolling their cars across it while I folded clothes on the bed, using the hard surface to build block towers, and many many more uses they have found for this old box.  These memories make this object even more of a treasure!

I displayed some of my art work this morning, but the rest I neatly placed in the old hope chest.  (There was a whole lot of art!)  I love that I have somewhere to keep the girls' mementos and I love everything this treasure box represents!

My Grandmother used to read me Bible stories every time I went to stay with her.  She helped instill my love for God and the importance of following Him.  I am so thankful I can share those stories and memories with my little ones!  Passing it down from generation to generation...that is our job....Joel 1:3 "Tell ye your children of it, and let your children tell their children, and their children another generation."

Sharing God's love is the best treasure we can ever give anyone!



Today's Verse
Colossians 2:2-3 "That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge."


No comments:

Post a Comment