Wednesday, May 1, 2013

What's Cookin' Wednesday!

So one of those, engrave this in my mind moments happened last night in the kitchen.  Great conversations and memories can be had and made when cooking, baking and eating together as a family!  I was making homemade biscuits.  Now this is not something I do very frequently, but I do looooove homemade biscuits!  I had some buttermilk leftover from a recipe that I had tried out (and will share next week), so what else do you do with buttermilk but make biscuits.  I decided to add in some shredded cheddar cheese when my oldest daughter asked what I was doing.  When I told her I was making cheese biscuits, she could not understand the concept.  I told her it was something my mom and Nanny used to do.  She then said she wanted to write down ALL of my recipes in a book, "Then if I ever have kids, I can cook with them and say, 'This is how my mom and my grandma used to make it.'"

I smiled so big inside and out.  That was warming to my soul as I briefly pictured my little one with a little one.  I thought back to when I was a 6 year old little girl watching my Nanny in the kitchen cooking and baking, and my mom in the kitchen (wearing her shower cap if she was cooking for a crowd), and then pictured myself trying to be just like them.  Now my girls are watching me, and they are so blessed to also get to watch their grandma and great-grandma as well.  Passing down the recipes.  Passing down the fun times in the kitchen.  Passing down the love.  I love the kitchen and all it represents...the prayers around the table and the good food for our tummies and soul!


Today's recipe is one I have been wanting to recreate for a month.  When we went down to Georgia in March, my breakfast on the last day was delicious.  It was an egg white frittata, with turkey sausage, mushrooms, spinach, cherry tomatoes, and avocado...so delicious!  So I finally had the chance to try and recreate it and the final results were scrumptious!

1/2 cup egg product (Or 3 egg whites or 2 regular eggs)
1/4 cup skim milk
salt and pepper to taste (I also added a pinch of red pepper flakes)

10-12 spinach leaves
1/4 cup turkey sausage (I used crumbled but the restaurant used chopped links.  This is a great time to have some already cooked, drained and frozen for a quick, healthy breakfast.)

1/2 sliced avocado (remember this is the good fat)
4 cherry tomatoes (washed, seeded and halved)
1/4 cup 2% Mozzarella cheese

In a small non-stick frying pan, heat the sausage and wilt the spinach leaves together on med-hi.  Whisk the egg product, milk and seasoning together.  Pour over sausage and allow the edges to set (about 2-4 minutes).  Add the tomatoes and avocado and place in the oven, set on 400 degrees, for 6-10 minutes or until done in the center.  Sprinkle with cheese and allow to melt.  You can split this or have it all for yourself because it is so yummy.  I didn't have any mushrooms, but you can definitely use any veggies on hand and make this for your family.  This looks so fancy but it is so simple to whip up.  Remember if you are not sure if your frying pan's handle is oven proof, just wrap it in aluminum foil.   I hope your family enjoys!


Today's Verse
Colossians 1:10 "That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God."


To all the stay-at-home moms out there, these were two great little pick me up devo's I read today and wanted to share.  Hope you can check them out!




No comments:

Post a Comment