Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Snow anyone???

I wish it would snow.  When it is chilly and rainy like it is at our house today, I would prefer it to be just a little chillier and the white flakes to fall.  I heard there might be some thunder claps heard today, and if that is the case we might get to see the white stuff.  The old saying is that if it thunders in the winter, snow is sure to follow in seven to ten days.  I know some of you are thinking snow, NO WAY!  But, snow is most often welcomed at our house.

My daughter just could not understand why it didn't snow this Christmas.  It snowed the day after Christmas last year, and she sure wanted it to happen again this year.  She has been "blessed" in her little mind to have snow for the past three years, and she expects it every winter now.  I have tried to explain that we can go years without seeing the flakes fall here in good old NC, but to an almost five year old that doesn't sound so good.

We have a few trips planned in the next few weeks that involve plane rides.  Planes and snow do not mix well, and so for the sake of travel, I prefer not to see any snow when it is time for those trips.  I want to be snug in my house with chili and hot cocoa when the snow does decides to visit.

I remember the first year we were married we tried to do way too much at Christmas time.  We tried to go to every event and make everyone in our families happy.  We hosted church gatherings and had friends over.  I slaved in the kitchen and tried to cook and bake way too much.  My husband stayed up half the night Christmas Eve putting together my new elliptical machine.  We were simply exhausted by Christmas morning.  We were scheduled to have another family gathering at our home the day after Christmas.  When we finally made it home at midnight on Christmas night (after driving around the half the state of NC), we didn't know if we would be able to lift our heads the next day.  We were not prepared for the party and didn't know if we would ever be.  I honestly cried and prayed for strength as I laid down that night.  That day after Christmas, we woke up to a blanket of white, and I have never been more happy or relieved to see snow in all my years.  The rest that came with not being able to leave the house was one of the most precious gifts ever.  We were able to reschedule the party a few weeks later, and I was able to enjoy it so much more because of the gift of snow.

God knows when we just can't handle another thing.  I really don't know if I would have been able to host that party successfully if the snow had not arrived.  It is such a relief to know that He will never put on us more than we can handle.  He will always send some form of relief right when we need it, rather it be in the form of snow or a phone call from a friend or a verse that speaks to our heart in a new way.  He will send the perfect thing and the perfect time.  

God has also sent us Christians the Great Comforter, the Holy Spirit, to help us in our times of need.  The Greek word for Comforter, parakletos, literally means "one called alongside to help".   The Holy Spirit is a real being.  He is referred to as a He, meaning an actual person, not just some abstract thing.  He can be called upon to help when we are in need of relief and feel we can't go another step.  My Women's Study Bible says, "Today, Christians can find comfort in the Holy Spirit when trials come."  Those trials seem to come so frequently some times, but to face it with the Holy Spirit by our side, we know we are never alone. I literally am not able to fathom how anyone is able to face the world today not having the One True God to lean on and guide them through this life.

Today's Verse
"But the Comforter (Helper), which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you."  John 14:26

God sent us a true Comforter.  Are you just not sure you can handle another trial?  Are you struggling and need some relief?  Pray for the Holy Spirit to bring a verse to your remembrance to strengthen you as you face whatever obstacle might be ahead.  Pray for the encouragement your heart might be longing for.  I have faith the great Comforter will send just what you need, and maybe it might just be a snowy forecast!

No comments:

Post a Comment