Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Recipe Remake

I have been attempting to remake some of our family recipes a little more healthy.  And I have been trying to makes some suppers ahead of time and freezing for easy quick suppers, and making our own pancakes and waffles and freezing for easy morning prep.  This has been fun and given me a chance to try new things.

The news ingredient is...coconut oil.  It looks a lot like shortening, has no coconut flavor and is a healthier fat!

I recently tried to remake these applesauce muffins...


Here are the new ingredients and they were a hit!

Applesauce/Carrot with Coconut Oil Muffins

1 cup flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups of applesauce (I used all natural, unsweetened)
1/4 cup minced carrots (1/2 carrot finely minced in the food processor)
6 Tbsp melted coconut oil


Mix dry ingredients in bowl and set aside.  Whisk together sugar and eggs until smooth.  Stir in cooled melted coconut oil, applesauce and carrots.  Pour wet ingredients in with dry and mix until just combined.  Over mixing makes a tough muffin.  Makes 36 mini muffins or 12 really big muffins.  Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes for minis or 18-22 minutes for big muffins.  Yummy and even more nutritious!


Today's Verse

"I am crucified with Christ:  nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me:  and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me."  Galatians 2:20

No comments:

Post a Comment