Tuesday, January 28, 2014

We're waiting!

We are home early from school!  We are watching the radar and peering out the window...hoping and praying for those first flakes of snow.  It has been a while since we saw those flakes fall and actually cover the ground, and I have two eager girls who can't hold their excitement much longer.  We sure want some snow cream and a snow man.  With a few extra groceries and my oldest making sure we had carrots for a snowman nose...we wait!

We wait for so many things.  I waited in line at the grocery store for a very long time last night.  I waited a while in the pick up line at school today as the whole school was released at once.  I wait for phone calls, for important dates, in the dentist office, for my girls to get their shoes on in the morning, and the list of waiting goes on and on.  But my biggest wait and my hardest wait is waiting on answers to prayers.

As a new list of waits and questions formed again at the beginning of the year, I had wondered if I could start another year with so much uncertainty looming again.  But an old faithful verse was brought to my attention last week.  As I faced a week of craziness with my husband out of the country, planning the biggest party I have ever thrown(and a surprise one to top it off), and so many other deadlines looming...the verse came and I was calmed.  It not only dealt with the waiting I feel like I am constantly doing, but it reminded me of my Source of strength and the only way I can get through it all!

Isaiah 40:31
"But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

We wait; He gives us new strength; we soar with His help; we run through this life and we keep going because He is there...we wait because He asks us to and because we know He has the perfect and best plan!  

So we will wait for snow the rest of the day...just like answers to prayers it may come today or it may not...but we will have fun while we wait.  Just as I hope to have fun this year even with looming questions and prayers that have yet to be answered!


Stay warm if its cold where you are...if it is warm I might be a little jealous!



We do have a roll of cookie dough in the freezer we may be breaking out to bake if we are snowed in tomorrow.  We made this recipe last week, but only baked half and froze the other half to bake later.  It was a great recipe.  It's called Cowboy Cookies, but we changed the recipe just a tad (including adding the pink and purple MMs dad brought back from a trip) so we called them Cowgirl cookies.  Hope your family enjoys!

Ingredients
    2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
    2 cups flour
    3/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
    1 cup packed light brown sugar
    2/3 cup granulated sugar
    2 eggs, at room temperature
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
    1/2 cup MMs candy
    1 cup chopped pecans
Directions
  1. In a large bowl, stir together the oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
  2. In a separate bowl, blend the butter and sugars with an electric mixer until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs and continue to beat until fluffy, about 1-1/2 minutes. Blend in the vanilla extract.
  3. Using a wooden spoon, stir the dry mixture into the butter mixture one half at a time. Mix in the chocolate chips and walnuts. Refrigerate the dough for 1 to 2 hours.
  4. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a large, preferably light-colored baking sheet with aluminum foil, then grease the foil.
  5. Using a scant 1/4 cup per cookie, shape the dough into balls and place them on the sheet about 2 inches apart.
  6. Use your fingertips to flatten each ball to 1/3 inch thick. Bake the cookies on the center oven rack for 13 to 14 minutes, turning the sheet about halfway through. When they're done, the cookies should be very lightly browned and still look moist. Don't overbake them.
  7. Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for 2 to 3 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment