Wednesday, December 12, 2012

What's Cookin'

I am in prep mode for my Christmas cookin'.  Doing as much as I can ahead of time helps in those final days before the Big Day!  I was in the kitchen a lot yesterday and one of my tasks was browning several pounds of sausage and freezing for use in the weeks ahead.  I do this with my hamburger for sauces, tacos, and soups as well.  It works great to go ahead and brown, drain, and store in a freezer safe container.  This helps so much!  I do not have any recipe photos for today, but I do have some fabulous recipes that I will be using this sausage in and it includes our Christmas morning breakfast.  I hope your family enjoys...and maybe even for Christmas morning!

Mom's Breakfast Casserole - I assemble this the night before and store covered in the fridge.  Christmas morning I sneak in the kitchen and place in the oven before the first present is ripped into.  Then after opening presents and a little playing, breakfast is ready and ohhhhh soooooo yummy!!!

1 pkg. refrigerated crescent roll dough
1 lb. browned and drained sausage - crumbled
5 eggs or 1 and 1/4 cup egg beaters
1 and 3/4 cup milk
2 cups of cheddar cheese or cheese of your choice

Preheat oven to 375.  Glass dishes or stoneware work best for this dish.  Spray your 13x9 baking dish or 2 qt. casserole dish.  Press crescent dough into pan making sure all perforated seams are together.  Spread sausage over dough.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Whisk eggs and milk together with a pinch of salt and pepper.  I also add a dash of hot sauce, but this can be omitted.  Bake for 35-45 minutes or until browned and the eggs are set to your liking.


Sausage Pinwheels  - 3 ingredients and incredible taste - I get more requests for this than for sausage balls now.  (If you do not know what a sausage ball is, then bless your heart and click here for the bisquick recipe.  It is a southern staple!)  http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/bisquick-sausge-balls/1e4b70e6-9fcf-40e7-baf8-57cfce15f2b6

2 pkg. refrigerated crescent roll dough
1 jar of cheese product (I use cheese wiz)
2 lbs. browned and drained sausage - crumbled

In a skillet, combine the cheese product and cooked and drained sausage.  Take crescents and half in the middle before unrolling dough.  Unroll and press seams together to make a 4in x 12 in rectangle.  After doing this with both packages you should have 4 rectangles of dough.  Spread the cheese and sausage mixture over dough.  Roll up jelly roll style and wrap in wax paper.  Place in freezer for about an hour or even two weeks in advance.  If frozen for longer than a few hours you may have to wait a few minutes before slicing.  Slice in 1/4 in slices and place on parchment paper lined cookie sheet.  Bake at 375 for 8-12 minutes or until light brown.  So addictive and makes a ton to feed a crowd.


Hope you can use these in your Christmas menus!



Today's Verse
"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts"  Colossians 3:15a




No comments:

Post a Comment