Wednesday, December 5, 2012

What's Cookin' Wednesday!

Here are the reindeer graham crackers we made in my daughter's kindergarten class last week.  There are tons of ways to do this...homemade triangle sugar cookies or of course graham crackers.  We iced the whole cracker just for fun and because icing is so tasty to a 5 year old!  We used green MM's for eyes and a red one for the nose.  I also had the option to use red hot candies for the nose.  All the children tried the red hots, but nobody used for the nose.  That was a funny experience seeing their little faces after popping the candy in their mouths!  My one tip for not breaking the crackers when cutting is to use a serrated knife and cut in a sawing motion.  Have fun and be creative...I hope your family enjoys!!!


As my daughter's teacher said..."Jesus is 'deer' to me!"


Also, as requested, from Betty Crocker, here is the snickerdoodle bars I mentioned earlier.  I forgot to take a picture of my finished bars this week, and now they are all gone!!!  The only difference I have between the recipe and mine...I usually have to bake for 30-35 minutes; I add a Tbsp of brown sugar to the mixture to sprinkle in the middle.  I also reserve a tsp of the cinnamon/sugar mixture and mix in the icing.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/snickerdoodle-bars/e2fc99ee-d389-434d-98e9-73bbf2527053

Snickerdoodle Bars

2 1/3
cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
1 1/4
teaspoons baking powder
1/2
teaspoon salt
3/4
cup butter or margarine, softened
1 1/4
cups granulated sugar
1/2
cup packed brown sugar
3
eggs
1
teaspoon vanilla
Cinnamon Filling
1
tablespoon granulated sugar
1
tablespoon cinnamon
Glaze
1
cup powdered sugar
1
to 2 tablespoons milk
1/4
teaspoon vanilla

  • Heat oven to 350° F. Spray or grease bottom only of a 13x9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
  • 1 In small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.  In large bowl, beat butter with electric mixer on high speed until creamy. Beat in sugars. Gradually beat in eggs and vanilla into sugar mixture until combined. On low speed, beat in dry ingredients until combined.
  • 2Spoon half the batter into pan; spread evenly. Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar mixture evenly over batter.
  • 3Dollop teaspoon size amounts of remaining batter evenly over cinnamon-sugar mixture.
  • 4Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
  • 5In small bowl, stir glaze ingredients until smooth and thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle over bars. For bars, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows.

Today's Verse
"Let thine heart retain my words:  keep my commandments, and live."  Proverbs 4:4b

No comments:

Post a Comment