Thursday, December 6, 2012

Everybody

How is the December Challenge going?  It is honestly helping me deal with the chaos of this busy season!  I had a really great experience yesterday...until I got caught.  

We tried to anonymously do a kind deed for someone we randomly met yesterday.  But as we were making our get-away, we got caught.  I was disappointed at being found out, but seeing the smile and hearing a heart-felt "thank-you so much!" made us feel good!  

I was contemplating the deed for today when I got a major wake-up call.  The girls' devotion this morning was entitled..."Pray for Everybody".  Uh-oh!  This was going to be one of those devotions that was probably meant more for me than the girls.  It happens, and it happens more than I would like to admit.  Did it really say "Everybody"????

When I announced the December Challenge I said one of my thinking of others moments might include..."spending extra time in prayer for someone in my life".  But, did I include everyone when that thought crossed my mind?  Did I include those who might have hurt my feelings?  Was I thinking about that person that rubs me the wrong way?  Can I truly say I wanted to do kind deeds for "Everybody"?

It's been on my mind a lot since this morning and I am praying about what God would have me to do.  We know the verses that come to mind when talking about forgiving others and loving our enemies.  But, I know that it is so hard to pray for blessings on someone that has hurt us.  It can be difficult to forgive someone who has wronged us.  It is tough, but it is possible.  And not only is it possible, but it is so freeing.  Peace will wash over us when we lift another in prayer.  Thankfulness will abound when we forgive someone and we realize how much our heavenly Father has forgiven us.  


Today's Verses

"For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them.  And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.   And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again.   But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.   Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful."  Luke 6:32-36

I love my family and I love my friends, but I will also strive to love the stranger I meet, the acquaintance that hurt me, and the enemy that wronged me.  Not only do we challenge ourselves to do kind things for others this December, we include "Everybody" in that challenge!  

No comments:

Post a Comment