Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Uncomfortable

We have had company this week.  It has been fun and exciting, especially for my two little ones, but there are some adjustments when hosting.  Our daily routine was a little off.  We didn't eat at our normal times or even our normal meals.  There were a few more snacks around than usual and a lot of extra curricular activities to be enjoyed.  Even with the changes, it is still fun to share your home, and we are told in the Bible in a number of place to show hospitality. (Romans 12:13 - " Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.")

All that said, I don't want you to think my title of "Uncomfortable" has any thing to do with how it felt to show a little hospitality this week.  Noway!  "Uncomfortable" has to do with how I was feeling this morning during my devotion.

I got out my Bible.  I got out the book I have been studying in a Tuesday Bible study class.  I found a spot.  I prayed.  I laid the books out in front of me.  I had everything I needed, but I just couldn't get comfortable.  I moved and wiggled.  I rearranged.  I huffed and I puffed.  I didn't want to whine, but this just wasn't comfortable to me.  You see, with our company, I couldn't do my quiet time during my normal time nor in my normal location.  I have a certain spot and a specific time of day when I spend my time with God.  But with company here, everything had to be shifted a little, and to put it simply I was out of my comfort zone.  Not emotionally out of the zone, but I physically could not get comfortable and focused like I knew I should be...not like in my old spot that was calling my name.

I had to sit back and laugh for a second.  God was using this as a major teaching moment.  Being physically uncomfortable had caused me to think of some times in just the past week when I had felt the need to step out of my emotional comfort zone but had failed to do so.  I will not go into all the details, but there were two instances flashing through my mind that I knew the Holy Spirit had tugged at my heart, and I had ignored it.

Our comfort zone is such a nice, friendly and familiar area.  It is cozy.  It is safe.  There is no stress in our comfort zone.  There is no cause for our hearts to beat out of our chest in our zone.  There is no "What if I mess up?", or "What if I say the wrong thing?" thoughts flashing in our minds in our zone.

I had a thought during my mental debate on whether to move for my devotion time.  My comfort zone is right where Satan wants me.  He doesn't want me to step out of my safe zone.  If I am stepping out of it, I am surely stepping out for God.  I am truly stepping out on faith.  I am stepping out because of obedience.  The devil doesn't want that, but that is exactly what God is calling us to do.  God wants us to show our love, trust, faith and obedience in Him by taking that step and doing what He has called us to do.  He will be there if we stumble as we take those wobbly steps into a new area in life.  He will hold our hand (Is 41:10) and He will guide us with His eye (Ps 32:8) when we attempt to do something new.  God will be right there through any step He has asked us to take!

Today's Verses
Psalms 37 verses 5 and 24
"Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass."
"Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down:  for the LORD upholdeth him with is hand."

Do you have a tug at your heart?  Is God calling you to do something that you know will require you to step out of your comfort zone? We can commit our ways to Him, trust Him, and He will "bring it to pass".  He will help us if we do stumble and fall our way through the new task.  He will be proud of us and comfort us through every little baby step we take.

Am I going to do what I am suppose to do?  If I get the opportunity, I am praying I will.  He is holding my hand and He will make me comfortable in my uncomfortable places.

No comments:

Post a Comment