Wednesday, May 30, 2012

A thief in the night

So, apart from the many obvious reasons that I am glad my husband was not traveling this week, I have an extra big reason today.  I have to rewind to mother's day to really give you the gist of this story.  I received a beautiful yellow balloon that said Happy Mother's Day that my daughters had picked out for me.  I love yellow and the girls love balloons.  Now you might be thinking this balloon should have been in the trash by now, but we still have balloons on the sticks from Valentines Day.  Balloons are loved and held on for dear life in this house.  Well at 12:30 a.m. I groggily rolled over only to see an what appeared to be a person slowly lunging for me.  I jumped up and let out a small yell.  Thankfully my husband was there to rescue for me from the attack of the killer balloon.

You see, and I know you might be laughing right now, but as you can guess, the balloon had finally started loosing its steam.  It had started lowering itself and looked like a huge headed thief in the night standing at the end of our bed.  I was so glad my husband was there to calm me down and take the culprit out of our room to the kitchen.

As I laughed to myself today, the verse from 1 Thessalonians 5:2, "For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night."  Also in 2 Peter 3:10, "But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up."

I remember as a little girl often wondering what it would be like when the Lord comes back, but how often do I  think about that now?  Do I explain to my children what it means to be ready for Jesus' return?  Do I live with the sense of urgency to tell others of my faith?

A thief in the night is scary to think about, but Jesus' return is not scary, if you know Him.  Jesus was just simply explaining that His return will be sudden, unexpected, and without warning.

Today's Verses
"For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and the trump of God:  and the dead in Christ shall rise first.  Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air:  and so shall we ever be with the Lord."
1 Thessalonians 5:16-17

My favorite part of these verses..."so shall we ever be with the Lord."  Yes it is hard to imagine what it will be like.  Will we still be on the earth?  How fast will it occur?  Questions can plague our thoughts, but there is no question about it...Jesus is coming back.  He will not be a thief, but our Savior coming to take us to our heavenly homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment