Monday, September 22, 2014

Negative Talk

My daughter recently told me she heard on the TV that "so and so" was a bad person.  "So and so" is replacing a politician's name.  Now I know politics are important, but I am not a fan of it. And right now, those attack adds are everywhere for a major race happening in our state.  Now the person she said was bad, happens to be the one our family will more than likely vote for.  So I tried to explain things for my sweet 7 year old to understand.

Thinking about it later that day, I wondered how many time she might have heard me be negative about someone.  The rude lady at the checkout, the mom that hurt my feelings, etc.  She's listening to the world around her, including me!  I don't want her to hear the negative talk, and I never want her to hear me being negative about another person.  Not only is she listening now more than ever (because we are together 24/7 while homeschooling), but she listening and absorbing the information, the reactions, the positive but also the negative.

I want her to look past the bad and find the good!  Always finding the best in people.  Realizing we all have bad day...but forgive and move on.  You can't always believe what you hear.  And the list of lessons to be taught is endless.

Being positive and building others up...that is what I want my daughter to hear!  No Negative Talk!

"Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do."  1 Thes 5:11

I'm watching what she says, and I'm making sure we talk about what she might hear on the tv or news.  But most importantly I'm making sure she understands that negative talk is not something we are going to do in our family, and we can all help each other out by reminding each other to focus on the good!


I posted over on Showing JOY about a fun thing we did last week!
Check it out!




No comments:

Post a Comment