Monday, March 12, 2012

Chilly toes

So I have to wonder if last night was the end for the chilly weather here in NC.  It looks as if spring has sprung, and although I know there could be one more cold snap, I have to say I am excited for spring.  My family was a little upset there was no snow this winter, but I do love my flip-flops and they have been calling my name! 

We played outside yesterday, but there was a slight chill in the air as we headed in.  I put on my fuzzy socks and one of my hubby's old sweatshirts as I prepared supper.  I wondered out loud if that would be the last time for that outfit this season.  Something is so comforting about being at home with the whole family, in our sweats, playing games or reading or watching movies.  That doesn't happen as much with warmer weather.  The girls would much rather be outside running and playing, than held up inside!

As I got in the cold bed last night, I did what I do every chilly night.  You see, I would love to sleep with an electric blanket, but my husband prefers to get into a chilly bed with cold sheets.  So on those chilly winter nights, I jump in the bed and pull the covers up real tight, and I get in the tightest ball formation that I can get in.  Slowly as the bed warms up, I creep my toes down slowly.  Sometimes if I go too fast and hit a real cold spot, I will jerk them back up quickly and get back into a ball. 

Last night as this ritual played out, I thought about how sin in my life can be the same way as my bedtime game.  I slip.  I let my guard down.  I slide my toes in just a little too far and let the devil drag me in all the way...
It's just the little things...you know like the saying says, "little white lies won't hurt."  That's the way the devil tricks us and gets us...we slide our toes in and he can pull us and cause us to fall in way too fast!

"Oh I will just watch this show that is not good for me just this once.  It will not affect me."
"Oh I am just going to skip church this once.  I will not make it a habit."
"Oh I just don't have time for devotion today.  I will do double tomorrow."
"Oh I have to tell somebody what I just heard.  I will tell them not to tell."
"Oh I don't need to bother God with this situation.  I can handle this one my own."
"Oh nobody will ever find out if I ________________"
 
All these "Oh's" can quickly lead to Oh-Nos.  We can soon find ourselves out of step with God when we let our guard down.  We let our toes slide a little too quickly down into those tiny, small, little, "this won't hurt me" habits.  And those habits can quickly overtake our lives and cause our fellowship and walk with the Lord to be lacking.

Today's Verse
"Submit yourselves therefore to God.  Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.  Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you."  James 4:7-8a

When the devil tempts us with the "Oh this want hurt you" ideas, we have to resist him.  When we resist the devil, it is promised to us in God's Word that the devil will "flee" from us.  But when we let our guard down and slide our toes down too far and too fast (and we have all had those times), we must pray for a way out.  God promises He will provide a way out of any temptation(1 Cor 10:13).  This is why it is so important to hide God's Word in our hearts, so when the devil does tempt us, we can throw those verses in his face and make him flee.  We will in turn draw closer to God when we resist the fleshly urge to sin, and He in turn will draw closer to us and thus continue strengthening us even more. 

Further down in James 4, in verse 10 we read, "Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up."  We must call on God and let Him know when we are weak in a certain area, and He will lift us up again!  I am so glad I can turn to God and know He will lift me up anytime.  I am so glad I can throw verses at Satan and he will flee.  I am so glad I can keep my heart guarded and my toes warm!



No comments:

Post a Comment