Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Squeezer or Pleaser

"When it comes to spending time with God, are you a 'squeezer' or a 'pleaser'?"

This was the question that was posed this morning in the girls' devotion.  We laughed...a lot!  "What does that mean mommy?", asked my oldest daughter.  I had to say that I had no idea without reading further.

We were reading Day 92 in our "VeggieTales 365 Day Starter Devos for Girls" book.  The title for this day was "It's Important to Make Time for God".  We continued reading so as to answer our question, but not without a few more giggles.

The devo asked "Do you squeeze God into your schedule with a prayer before mealtime, or do you please God by talking to Him far more often than that?"

After continuing our discussion and finishing the devotion, I had the question in my mind most of the morning.  Yes, there are days that I feel like a "squeezer".  And there was even a time in my life when I would say I was continuously a "squeezer".

I am not patting myself on the back here, but I have always tried to read my Bible daily.  I would read the Daily Bread and the verses it suggested, or other quick devotions my whole life.  Yes there were many that touched my heart, encouraged me and provided the quick word that I needed in that moment.  But in all honesty, I was basically squeezing time in for God.  It was not really because I was seeking to draw closer to Him.  It was not really that I was trying to learn more about Him.  I was doing it out of feeling the need to be obedient more than really trying to seek His face.

I am sad to say, that dependence on God and trying to soak up all the Bible has to offer did not occur until God called me to be a full-time homemaker.  It was in those desperate hours of feeling cut off from the world when my first daughter was an infant, that I truly began to really "please" God by spending quality time in His Word.  I talk to Him throughout the day, not just at mealtime or bedtime.  I try to read and really pay close attention to what God could be trying to tell me through verses and other readings. Note that I did not say lots of time, but quality time.  It is definitely quality verses quantity in this stage of life.  As a mom of little ones, no matter if you are working 40 hours plus being a mom or working in the home all day, it can be hard to piece together five minutes of quiet time.  But in those five minutes, if we are truly trying to spend time in fellowship with God, He will bless our time together and draw us closer to Him.  This quality time is what "pleases" God.

Today's Verses

Psalms 62:5 "My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation (hope) is from him"

This is the verse suggested by the Devo book we were reading.  We wait on Him and depend on Him daily. He is the only One who can provide true hope, but we must spend that time with Him to receive it.

Psalms 86:7  "In the day of my trouble I will call upon thee:  for thou wilt answer me."

This is the girls' memory verse for the week.  We can call upon Him anytime, and we should talk to Him throughout our day.  But it is such a comfort to know even when we are in trouble, He is always there to listen and to answer.

Like I said, there are days I am still a "squeezer" reading for a brief minute and saying a quick prayer before I rush out the door or before I fall into bed.  But when we schedule those times with Him like we would schedule a meeting, we can truly seek His guidance on our lives and "please" our Heavenly Father with our undivided attention.  And as the devotion puts it, "Even if you are the busiest girl on Planet Earth, you can still carve out a little time for God. And when you think about it, isn't that the very least you should do?"

No comments:

Post a Comment