Tuesday, February 26, 2013

You don't look your age...

Some people take, "You don't look your age!" as a compliment.  But, is it really???  I have heard that comment a lot since I turned 30 (a few years back) and every time I don't know rather to laugh or cry!  It is like saying your age is old, but really you don't look "that old".

This weekend I got a double dose of feeling old!  Yay! 

We had a wonderful and long relaxing weekend away in the mountains.  The cabin was picture perfect like out of a magazine, and the weather was good.  The girls got to ski.  My oldest one is quite the ski bunny and my little one  did very well for a 2 yr old.  We were able to go ice skating as well.  Lots of excitement.  While at the skating rink, a young college girl told her boyfriend to, "Let this lady through.". Ouch!  Lady!  She might as well have put the word OLD in front of it by the way she said it.  Then the very next day, a college boy said "Excuse me ma'am" as he passed by in a restaurant.

Talk about feeling old.  

I feel like it was just a blink of an eye ago when I was a college student.  I remember when I graduated and began working full time at the university everyone thought I was still a student.  But those days are long gone.  So how am I going to handle this aging process?

A young college couple got engaged at the ice rink while we were there.  It was so sweet!  I think she was truly surprised!  I of course recalled the day my hubby asked me.  Two young college sweethearts that had no clue what married life was like.  But we knew God had put us together, and with Him we would figure it out!

What wisdom could I have shared with that newly engaged couple?  What things would I go back and tell myself?  

Today's verses
"The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness....teachers of good things; That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children...keepers at home...that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:3-5 

So how am I going to handle this thing called aging...I am going to use the days God has given me to tell about the things He has taught me.  I may not have 40 years of marriage under my belt, but I am going on 10.  And in those 10 years I have learned more than I could have ever expected.  I am going to love my husband and my girls.  I am going to teach my children of God's love and speak well of their earthly father as well.  I am going to strive to share Christ's love with others.  I am going to appreciate everyday He gives me.  

I hope to age gracefully...not just in the "you don't look your age" gracefully, but the cherishing and sharing God's love gracefully!  Besides, it is my job to teach the young women and I pray God can use me through this and any other writing opportunities He blesses me with!  And I will try to remember this even when someone is calling me ma'am or lady :)

No comments:

Post a Comment