Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Ultimate Salad and a milkshake!

Something healthy and a splurge...but a lower fat splurge!

I have my very own romaine lettuce growing in our garden.  I have never had success with lettuce, but this year has been a blessing with our little garden!  Everything taste better when you grow it yourself!  This is my version of my favorite salad at Chili's, minus the grilled chicken which could easily be added.

1 cup of romaine lettuce

Topped with the following ingredients...

1/4 cup black beans (rinsed and drained)
1/4 cup of frozen corn (heated and drained)
1/2 Tbsp lime juice
1 Tbsp minced jalapeno (hopefully we will have these fresh soon...we have blooms now!)
1 Tbsp fresh cilantro (also from our garden)
1/4 tsp cumin, onion powder, chili powder and garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste

Combine and let sit for a few minutes before topping salad.  This is also great on chips or on top of burritos or tacos!

I also combined 1 tsp of lime juice and a sprinkle of the same spices, with 1 tsp honey and 1 tsp of canola oil for a vinaigrette.

I also topped my salad with some crushed baked tortilla chips!  I hope you can try this yummy salad!



My hubby loves peach milkshakes!  This was his special treat this weekend.

1 cup of vanilla low fat frozen yogurt
splash of milk (2-3 Tbsp)
splash of vanilla
1 peach diced very small
1 tsp sugar

Combine with an immersion blender or the regular blender!  So cool and yummy!  Perfect summer treat that I hope your family enjoys!




Today's Verse
"And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full."
1 John 1:4

No comments:

Post a Comment