Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The real thing

Have you ever tried to make buttermilk?  Well I did for the first time this week, and to me personally, it was not the same.  Buttermilk is rich and creamy.  It adds such a distinct flavor and fluffiness to biscuits and baked goodies.  I have heard of drinking it, but that is not something I would really like to do, but I do love to cook and bake with it.

So when I wanted to make buttermilk pancakes, but found myself without buttermilk, I decided to make my own.  I have read to add a Tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar to milk to create the concoction.  So I gave it a try, only to be very disappointed.  It was like I had just used plain milk. There was not the same tang and fluffy texture that buttermilk usually gives the pancakes.

It was just not the same as the real thing!

There are so many books I want to read.  Devotions that warm my heart and comfort my soul; books to help with so many of life's trials, and true stories that inspire us.  If I had time, I would read a book a day!  But I can never let those great books replace the best Book for everyday life. Our Bibles can speak to us during happy times as well as hard times.  We can find comfort, guidance, and God's never-ending love written throughout the pages.  I will continue to read other books, but they can never replace or be better than my Bible.

Our Bible is the real thing!

Today's Verse
"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."  Psalms 119:105


It is pumpkin time!!!!  I love pumpkin recipes.  Here is the pumpkin waffles we made recently.  No buttermilk required!  You can top with maple syrup, melted butter, powdered sugar, chopped pecans or however you like.  The girls love pumpkin and chocolate, so we topped with just a sprinkle of chocolate chips and syrup. I hope your family enjoys!

2 1/3 cup baking mix (such as Bisquick)
1 1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
2 Tbsp canola oil
2 Tbsp apple sauce
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Beat all ingredients and pour into heated waffle iron as directed.  Make sure to spray the waffle iron with butter or canola oil for easy cleanup.  Serve warm with desired toppings.





No comments:

Post a Comment