Monday, October 24, 2011

Singing the Blues

There are several movies I could watch over and over again.  "Sweet Home Alabama" is on TV every other day, and I could probably watch it every other day.  Being a child of the 80's, there are several movies from that era that are classics.  I am not talking about "The Breakfast Club" or "Pretty in Pink"; I was a little too young for those movies.  But nothing can top "The Goonies" and "Adventures in Babysitting" in my book.  I could certainly watch those over and over again.

In the "Adventures of Babysitting", the best scene takes place in a Blues Club.  The kids have to sing a blues song before being able to leave.  You might not be as familiar with that movie as with "The Goonies", so with the help of the power of Youtube, I have put the link with that scene below.  Hope you enjoy!


Today, I am singing the Blues myself.  I know I shouldn't be.  I just wrote recently about not whining, but today seems like a Blues kinda day!  Sing along with me...

My husband is in Washington,
that is Washington DC.
I am home alone with the girls,
it is just us three.
On Saturday I went,
and got my hair chopped off.
The girls woke up yesterday,
with stuffy noses and a cough.
And did you even realize,
Christmas is two months away.
I have not done any shopping,
so much to do before the big day.
We just found out our dream house,
is no longer up for sale.
All this just makes me,
 want to moan and wale....
OHHHHH I GOT THE BLUES!

Did you imagine the harmonicas and guitars playing in the background?

How do you get yourself out of a Blues kind of day?  No more whoa is me, but be thankful for your blessings!  Not to sound like a broken record, but we have to be grateful for all we have.  Do not worry about your tomorrows, but be thankful for the One who holds our tomorrows.

My song should be more like...

I am so thankful for my husband's job,
there are so many without.
I am thankful for the hair I have, 
it will grow back...no doubt.
My girls are still healthy,
it's just a little cold.
And Christmas is about our Savior,
not all the presents bought and sold.
The Lord has somewhere better,
for us to move to.
We need to rejoice and sing,
be happy in all you do.

Today's Verse
"In thy name shall they rejoice all the day:"  Psalms 89:16a

That was the girl's memory verse for last week.  All the day we sing in our hearts His praises.  All the day we rejoice because of who He is.  Their memory verse for this week is Phil 4:19a, "But my God shall supply all your need."  

He will provide everything we need.  It might not be everything we think we want, but it will be everything we need.    

On Thursday I saw an interesting quote on Marybeth Whalen's blog... http://marybethwhalen.blogspot.com/ .  
"What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?"

YIKES!  That is a powerful thought!  Let's make a pact together to thank God for everything we have.  Turn your blues into praises of thanksgiving along with me today.  We are certain to have a better outlook on life if we stay away from singing the blues!


1 comment:

  1. Loved your poetry.... such talent ;)
    Pray your hubby gets home soon and the girls get to feeling all better! When I read your blog I just gotta SMILE!

    ReplyDelete