Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Copy Cat


My oldest daughter did an absolute wonderful job in her Thanksgiving performance yesterday...if I can brag just a little.   The song her class sang about being thankful for all the Lord has made, was cute and so true.  Not soon after she was off the stage, her little sister was trying her best to mimic the moves and words she had just watched her big sis do.  We had not been privy to the song's lyrics or motions before the performance...it haaaaad to be a surprise...so this was the first time we had even heard the song.  I couldn't believe after one performance my littlest was copying her sister to a T.

She is really getting into the copy cat mode.  She wants to do and say everything "Sissy" does.  Unfortunately, she has even recently learned how to cross her arms and "HUMMMMPH" just like Sissy.  I constantly say "Be a good example for your sister".  I know my oldest daughter does not like this responsibility all the time, but truth of the matter is, her little sis is watching.  She is learning from her.  She has to be the good example so the copy cat can learn how to listen and obey and not pout and disobey.

I did not have true full-time sisters when I was growing up.  But, thankfully, the Lord did bless me with cousins to serve as my part-time "sisters".  I had three little sisters following me around and copying me constantly.  I can remember getting frustrated with the girls in one minute, but then laughing with them the next moment.  I also had one older sister to copy as well.  There are stories I could tell about playing the copy cat or being the one who is being copied.  There are funny stories and even some sad ones.  But, I will share my favorite copy cat story...the one that has to do with me asking Jesus into my heart.

I was seven years old and it was Promotion Sunday.  I was going to move up to the second-fourth grade class.  My oldest "sister" was a fourth grader, so I was going to be with her.  I was excited to say the least.  I can still remember the flannel graph picture of Jesus standing at the door knocking.  The teacher talked about how easy it was to let Him in and be the Lord of our lives.  The invitation came, and like a lot of seven year olds, I peaked my eyes to see what my cousin was doing.  She raised her hand that she had asked Jesus into her heart, so in true copy cat fashion, I raised my hand as well.  A few others raised their hands that they had not asked Jesus into their hearts, and they were able to leave with a teacher to learn more about asking Jesus to be their Savior.  Craft time started, but I couldn't get the uneasy feeling out of me.  My little seven year old heart was telling me I needed to go with the others.  I had not done the things we had just discussed.  I ran to the other teacher and told her I had to go with the others.  I wanted; I needed; I HAD to ask Jesus in my heart.

I can tell you all the details of that day...but I wouldn't want to bore you!  I am just so thankful for that day.  I am so thankful to be brought up in a Christian home.  I am so thankful for my family.  I am so thankful for all my Sunday School teachers.  I am so thankful for a loving, forgiving, wonderful, I could go on and on, but simply magnificent God!  I am thankful the Lord kept tugging at my heart, and I was not a complete copy cat that day!

Who is watching us?  Would we want others copy catting us today?  Do our neighbors see our love for the Lord?  What about the children in our lives?  I have two sets of little eyes watching me constantly.  Would I be honored that they copied me, or would I be ashamed of what they have seen me do or heard me say?

In Joshua 24, we read Joshua's farewell address.  In verse 15, we have the famous quote to live by, "but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."  The following verses have the copy cat response from the God's chosen people, "And the people answered and said, God forbid that we should forsake the LORD...therefore will we also serve the LORD; for he is our God."

Is He your God?  Can other's copy cat you and know that by your actions?  Are we serving Him today?

Today's verse
"And the people said unto Joshua, The LORD our God will we serve, and his voice will we obey."
Josh 24:24

I was reading in the book of John earlier today.  One of the applications in my Women's Study Bible said, "Christians should allow Christ to live His divine life in them, so others will see His influence and glorify God."  The Only Perfect One to ever walk the planet, should be who we are striving to copy.  He is our only Perfect Example.  Let's copy cat Him today so other's can see His love shining through us!


I hope everyone has a HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

No comments:

Post a Comment