Monday, November 7, 2011

Step 1 - Prayer

So, you might could have guessed the first step of the "your daily V-8" steps.  It is only logical that we spend time talking to God after reading and learning more about Him.  It is also a good idea to say a quick prayer before you get started with your V step (Bible VERSE reading).  Pray for wisdom to understand what you are reading, an open heart to the lessons you are learning, and the strength to apply the knowledge gained to your daily lives.

Prayer is so powerful.   Prayer is so necessary.  Prayer is a privilege not be taken for granted.

So how does prayer apply to our physical health and not just spiritual health?  Just ask for help with your overall health!  A few months ago I was praying one morning.  I pray daily for the Lord to guard my heart, help me to watch what I say and how I say it to my husband and my girls.  I do not like to yell, but unfortunately I can loose my patience sometimes and raise my voice.  I have to constantly ask for my bridle!  I had also been asking recently for the desire to get back into a healthy eating and exercising plan.  I sincerely said, "Lord, help me to watch what comes out of my mouth as well as what goes in my mouth."  I felt a calming peace after I said it that way.  He can help me do anything, including being mindful of how and what I eat.

We can pray for time to take a quick walk and for the desire to want to eat better.  Just as we pray for strength and wisdom regarding our time in His Word, pray for strength and wisdom to make good choices for your health.  We know "with God all things are possible" (Mark 10:27) so saying, "but I can't do this" is not an option!  We can do this.  It is possible!  We just have to pray to make it possible!

Today's Verse
"If ye shall ask anything in my name, I will do it."  John 14:14

Does that verse say "anything"?  YES.  Is the Bible true?  WITHOUT A DOUBT!  Does that include making healthy choices?  YES.  Can you ask for this and receive help?  OF COURSE YOU CAN.

This was the first verse my oldest daughter learned after John 3:16.  I remember discussing the "anything" factor.  To a little girl, this can be a big WOW factor.  We all know God might say yes, no, or wait to our prayers.  You also have to be mindful that making healthy choices is not going to be easy no matter how hard you pray.  There will be temptations everywhere, and the devil will throw everything in your path to make it seem impossible.  This is why Bible reading and prayer time have to come first in the V-8 process.  It is the only tools that will help us to stay on track!

I have included some "old" favorite verses regarding prayer and a few newer favorite ones regarding prayer.  The Bible is full of prayer promises!  Together lets learn them and put them to use in our healthy lives!


OLD FAVORITES
“My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up.” Ps 5:3
Matt 6:6-13 -  Jesus provides instructions and a sample prayer to the disciples
“Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find: knock, and it shall be opened unto you:”  Matt 7:7 and Luke 11:9

“Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities (weaknesses): for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itselth maketh intercession for us with groanings that cannot be uttered.”  Rom 8:26


 “Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your request be made know unto God.  And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”  Phil 4:6-7
“Pray without ceasing” I Thes 5:17 

NEWER FAVORITES
“Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice.”  Ps 55:17
"If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?"  Matt 7:11
“And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.”  Matt 21:22
“Therefore I say unto you, what things soever ye desire when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.”  Mark 11:24
 “And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray and not to faint.”  Luke 18:1

No comments:

Post a Comment