Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Scars that heal scars

We all have them.  Those little, or even big in some cases, reminders of a boo-boo or burn that occurred, or a surgery that had to take place.  I am talking about scars.  There is a chicken pox scar by my left eye, a scar on my big right toe that happened at a pool when I was three, and my most precious scar that is from the birth of my children through a c-section surgery.

There are emotional scars as well.  Those past hurts and pains that have come along in our lives.  We all have those as well.  Some are deep.  Some can still cause us to wince and cry when we think about them.  Some are fresh.  Some are possibly decades old.  It may seem that we will never fully heal from some scars, and in all actuality, we won't.  That is why they are called scars.  Scars last forever on these earthly bodies.   One of the definitions of the word scar is "the lasting aftereffect of trouble".  It is "lasting", never going away.

What can help with our scars?  Who can help us handle the pain they cause?

There is only One who can truly comfort us in times of pain.  He will carry us through the hurts.  He will listen when we cry, even if we are crying over something that happened twenty years ago.  In our times of need we can turn to Jesus, the One who has the ultimate scars.  His scars can help heal our scars.

The disciple Thomas has the reputation of being a doubter.  In fact, we could say Thomas, A.K.A - Didymus, A.K.A. - Doubting Thomas, when talking about him.  He had not been with the others when Jesus had first appeared resurrected.  John 20:25 says, "The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord.  But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe."

Talk about lack of faith?  Thomas had to see the scars to believe.   I have thought to myself before, "Would that have been  my reaction?  Would I have doubted the others too?"

When we keep reading we find that Jesus did appear to him eight days later.  In verses 27-29 it says, "Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side:  and be not faithless, but believing  And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.  Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed:  blessed are they that have seen, and yet have believed."

Have you believed?  Do you know He died for you?  Have you accepted Him and placed your life completely in His hands?

Why do you think Jesus appeared with His scars?  He was God; He did not have to keep His scars.  He was perfect, and He could have appeared in perfect body before them.  I personally think that it is a reminder that He was God made into man.  Jesus was God on earth.  He faced trials; He faced temptations.  He remained perfect through it all, but we can relate to Him because He has scars as well.  We can rely on Him to help with our pain because of the ultimate pain He experienced.  Hebrews 2:18 says, "For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succor (aid) them that are tempted."  He can help or aid us through any situation because He walked this earth as well.

Today's Verse
"But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name."  John 20:31

We have to give Him our lives.  We have to believe in Him and know He can and will make a difference in our lives.  We have give Him our scars.  We have to ask Him to help us through whatever has caused scars in the past or whatever is causing scars right now to form in our lives.  Let His scars heal your scars today!

No comments:

Post a Comment