Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Strength for today



 Have you ever had a day or week when a verse is brought to your attention over and over.  Or maybe you hear several messages or sermons on the same topic really close together.  There may also be instances when somebody has given you godly advice and later that same week you receive that same advice from a different person.  Those have all happened to me, and I know that is when God is trying to get my attention and truly speak to me through others and His Word.  

This was apparent once again in my life as I sat down in my Sunday school class only to discover we are starting a new series about dealing with stress and anxiety.  YIKES!  As many of you know, I just started an online Bible study regarding the same topic.  Do you think God is wanting me to take a breath and calm down and lean on Him more?  I am kinda getting that  sinking feeling I have not been taking the hints!  I know He is asking me to trust and depend on Him completely and not waste my time and energy on stress and worry!

The study we are doing is called "Intentional Choices".  At the end of the lesson, the author (which I could not find listed in the book, but it is a LifeWay study) refers to a quote, "Worrying does not empty tomorrow if its troubles; it only empties today of its strength."  
WOW!  I love that!

When worries pop in or situations arise that cause anxiety, I must take a minute to pray.  When I release it all to Him, I can feel the peace of God transform the stress into praise for Him.  I will praise Him for the blessings in my life and praise Him that He holds everything in His hands.  I can praise Him that He helps carry my load.  I will take a deep breath while I "breath in His peace and let out my worries".  (From You're Late Again Lord)
 I was reading very familiar verses this morning only to have a verse speak to me in a new way.  

Today's verse 
Hebrews 12:1
"Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us"

I have always focused on running the race that is before us, but a different part leapt off the page today..."let us lay aside every weight".  Our Heavenly Father is there to help us carry our load and ease the pain that stresses can cause.  But it is up to us to lay them aside!  If we continue to carry our own burdens, we will definitely not have the strength for today!  But once we release our troubles to Him, His strength will fill us and the race of life will be easier to run!


No comments:

Post a Comment