Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Be sure your sins will find you out!

Have you heard that before?  My mom was a pro at saying that to me. "Be sure your sins will find you out" Numbers 32:23. And, I have to say, it worked.  I had a conscience that prevented me from getting into too much trouble.  I am of course not saying I never did anything wrong, because that was a daily occurrence, but it did make me think twice.  I think Macie might have that same conscience.  She will come and tell me immediately if Daddy slips her a treat or lets her do something I usually don't let her do.  I pray she keeps that conscience!


I tell my kids (the youth group) that someone is always watching, even if they don't think so.  We all know God is watching 24/7, but chances are somebody on earth is watching as well.  I tell a story from high school.  I walked into Calculus class and my teacher said, "I saw what you did this morning. I would expect no less of you, but I am proud of you."  For the life of me I couldn't remember what she could have been talking about.  While I worried about it through class, the thought hit me, she could have seen me do something bad just as easily as she saw me do something she was proud of.  I had no idea she had even seen me that morning.  I had not seen her.  So, what had I done?  I asked after class, and she told me it was when I helped a little seventh grader pick up his books that he had dropped during class changes.  I hadn't done it because I thought someone was watching, I did it because I hope someone would have done it for me.  But what if I had done something else?  I could have been talking negative about someone, having a bad attitude about my teacher, being a stuck-up seninor.  She could have easily witnessed those not so finer moments that a high school girl could let herself get into.  If I let the devil get the best of me it would cause me not be the light God called me to be. 


Verse for Today
Phil 2:15 "That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; "


Our actions and words may be the only "witness" someone ever sees and hears of God.  We are called to be "lights in the world".  Is your light shining today?  


Recently I was once again reminded that someone could be watching.  My daughters and I were having snack and were singing a silly song to the top of our lungs.  Now the only people that would call what comes out of my mouth a "joyful noise" is my daughters and the Lord.  Everyone else would simply call it unbearable noise.  Now we were to the chorus and loud as ever.  I then hear a tap at the side door.  I look over to find our teenage neighbor laughing.  She had been there a while and needless to say heard and seen it all.  She was laughing and so were we.  I was just slightly embarrassed.  Now our neighbors do not attend church and later that night I thanked God for letting her catch us in a joyful situation.  What if I had been yelling at my girls?  It is hard to say, but that does happen sometimes.  What would she have thought?  Would our "witness" be totally ruined forever?


Please remember that someone could always be watching.  When you think of it like that, you may always think twice before you speak and do!  Your life may be the only godly example someone around you has to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment