Monday, July 25, 2011

Signs Signs Signs

So last Friday I talked about Gideon.  I was going to talk about the signs he requested and debate whether it was ok to ask God for certain signs, but thankfully God redirected my typing because I was leaning towards the wrong thing.  Now, I know some people depend on signs of comfort after someone has passed on and is in their mansion in heaven.  I believe it is perfectly fine to seek those signs and I know they are provided.  I have 3 very specific cases where I know there were prayers answered for signs after a death.  But, were Gideon's sign request necessary?  Can we ask for signs in our lives to point us in the right direction or do we simply pray and seek God's will through reading and depending on Him?


All these questions have to deal with the fact that we are planning to put our house for sale this week.  We have found our dream home.  Although I know it is nothing in comparison to the home I have waiting for me in heaven, it is everything I could dream of on earth.  I am debating is it ok to want this house.  Is it ok to pursue this house?  My husband and I have agonized for weeks about this.  We had finally come to the conclusion to just put our house for sale, and if the Lord wants us to have this house, it will happen.  He provided this house for us and He can certainly provide again.


In a moment of weakness though, I prayed for a specific sign.  I just knew that I had read about Gideon to tell me it was ok to ask for this specific sign.  Then, during Sunday School, my husband was in the nursery with our youngest and started reading the story of Gideon in his Application Study Bible.  This is what it had to say about Gideon's requests.


"Was Gideon really testing God, or was he simply asking God for more encouragement?  In either case, though his motive was right, his method was less than ideal.  Gideon seems to have known that his requests might displease God (6:39), and yet he demanded two miracles (6:37,39) even after witnessing the miraculous fire from the rock (6:21).  It is true that to make good decisions we need facts.  Gideon had all the facts, but still he hesitated.  He delayed obeying God because he wanted even more proof.
Demanding extra signs was an indication of unbelief.  Fear often makes us wait for more confirmation when we should be taking action.  Visible signs are unnecessary if they only confirm what we already know is true.
Today the greatest means of God's guidance is his Word.  Unlike Gideon, we have God's complete, revealed Word.  If you want to have more of God's guidance, don't ask for signs; study God's Word (2 Tim 3:16, 17)"


WOW!  That's all I can say.  We had decided to trust in God knowing everything would work for good, and I (like Gideon), decided to doubt and ask for more signs.  We know we are in His hands and on the way home my husband reminded me to remember Proverbs 3:5-6

VERSES FOR TODAY

Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."


Do you know you are suppose to be doing something today?  Are you afraid and asking for more signs?  Take a step of faith and put it all in His hands.  I am so thankful for the comfort that HE WILL DIRECT OUR PATHS!  

No comments:

Post a Comment