Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Big Girls Don't Cry

Ok, so you may be singing or humming this song for the rest of the day, but I had to give this post that title.  As the song says, "Big girls don't cry"...right????  Well, we try not to cry at least.  My big girl did shed a few quick tears after her 4 shots today.  Yes, 2 in each arm at the same time...my poor baby!  A few tears might be expected, but she was definitely brave and strong.  We have been praying all week that God would help her to be brave, and she was fantastic!

Tears are to be expected in life.  It could be tears of pain, as in my big girls experience today.  We can cry tears from emotional hurts.  There are tears of joy, which can be so hard to explain.  We shed tears of sympathy, as we cry along with friends or family during their hurts.  There is even tears of relief when a prayer is answered.  In other words, tears can accompany any and every emotion we experience.

I have shed my share of tears in my lifetime.  And to me it is such a comfort to know it is ok to cry.  And it is even more of a comfort to know it is ok to cry to God.  He will comfort us.  He will listen to us cry.  And most importantly, when our time to enter heaven to live with Him forever comes... He will wipe away our tears for good!!!!

Today's Verse
"In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried to my God:  and he did hear my voice out of his temple, and my cry did enter into his ears."  2 Samuel 22:7

I love that verse, in fact I love the whole chapter of 2 Samuel 22.  We can call to Him in our time of need and distress.  We can cry to our God.  And it is promised that He will hear us and listen.

Other verses in the chapter offer hope and reassurance that He is all we need.  As a youth, I sang in the teen choir at church.  Now, I have told y'all that my singing is not a joyful noise to anybody that hears it with maybe the exception of my girls (and that will soon change I am sure).  But nevertheless, I have sang in public before.  One of my favorite songs was taken from verses in this very chapter (verses 4 and 47).

I will call upon the Lord
Who is worthy to be praised
So shall I be saved from mine enemies
I will call upon the Lord
The Lord liveth
And blessed be the Rock
And let the God of my salvation be exalted
The Lord liveth
And blessed be the Rock
And let the God of my salvation be exalted

I still sing that song several times a week.  In fact, the girls and I just sung it before nap.  I can call upon the Lord at any time, with any request, and even through my tears.  Big girls may try not to cry, but thankfully it is ok if we do...and we know we have a loving God that will listen when we do have to shed a few tears!

Other favorite verses from 2 Samuel 22, which in case I didn't tell you enough...I love this chapter!
v. 2-3 "And he said, The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer.  The God of my rock; in him will I trust:  he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my savior, thou savest me from violence."
v. 29 "For thou art my lamp, O LORD:  and the LORD will lighten my darkness."
v. 31 "As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried (proven): he is a buckler (shield) to all them that trust in him."
v. 33 "God is my strength and power; and he maketh my way perfect." 

No comments:

Post a Comment