Monday, February 20, 2012

Dealing with disappointments

We had the chance for snow here in good old NC.  We had the chance, but it passed us by.  If we lived just fifteen miles north, we could have seen a dusting.  But sadly it wasn't meant to be today.  And as the weather can be so crazy here in NC, we are expecting close to 70 degrees by midweek.   We had perfect spring time weather on Saturday.  Cold and rainy yesterday.  Snow flurries last night.  And in two days, spring again.   YAY!  Can anyone say Aaaa-choooo?  We will surely be feeling the effects of the up and down temps in the coming days.

Even I was a little disappointed with the no show snow.  I peaked out the window at 2:30 am hoping to just see a dusting of the pretty white stuff.  My girls were sure hoping for it to snow too.  Their disappointment surprisingly did not last all that long.  We had a visitor this morning and lots fun things to do, so the no show snow was not too disappointing.

I was proud of the girls not being pouty about the weather.  I wish I could say the same for myself.  I was not necessarily pouty about it not snowing, but just other things that happened.  The usual.  The waiting.  The questions.  The disappointments.

We were gone all weekend to my parents.  I just knew someone would come look at our house.  The weather was supposed to be gorgeous on Saturday which usually sends the house hunters out.  But nobody wanted to view ours.  Yes we had some looks the past two weekends, but they all fell through.  Disappointments again! 

I asked my husband at 2:30 am why we were not hearing from God.  Most husbands do not like to talk at 2:30 am I have come to find out by my own experiences and hearing stories from other wives.  He told me at a more reasonable hour this morning, that we are down to the fourth quarter (man talk) and he just knew we would hear from God soon.  I have been beating myself up.  Is there something I need to do that I am not doing?  Is there a sin in my life I need to alleviate and repent?  Is there anything I can do to not have to face another disappointment?

And, as you might have guessed if you have read the blog before, two quotes were in the girls' devotion this morning that spoke straight to my heart.  And there was a devotion in my inbox that was dealing with waiting.  Two things sent straight to me, for my benefit, to calm my heart, that only God could have ordained to come at the perfect time.

The quotes:
"God is the giver, and we are the receivers.  And His richest gifts are bestowed not upon those who do the greatest things, but upon those who accept His abundance and His grace."  Hannah Whitall Smith

"You may not see immediate results, but all God wants is your obedience and faithfulness."  Vonette Bright

The devotion:
http://devotions.proverbs31.org/2012/02/god-could-you-please-hurry-2.html

Today's Verses
"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee:  for my strength is made perfect in weakness.  Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in deistresses for Christ's sake:  for when I am weak, then am I strong."  2 Corinthians 12:9-10

Two things stand out to me.  Not only will God's strength get us through.   Not only will He make us strong in our weakness.  But rather, I am to "glory in my infirmities (or weaknesses)" and I am to "take pleasure in infirmities).  I would love to add in verse 10 the phrase "in disappointments" right before "in distresses". 

I am going to glory in my disappointments today.  I am going to take pleasure in my disappointments.  I am going to "Trust and Obey" as the song says.  I was not meant to see snow today, because God wanted our visitor to be able to come over this morning.  God has the perfect buyer for this house, or maybe He wants us to live here for ten more years.  He is making me strong even though I am feeling weak from the disappointments.  I am going to deal with the disappointments with His help and His strength!  I am going to "accept His abundance and His grace" day by day.  I don't deserve Him, but thankfully He loves me no matter what...even when I am disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment