Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Not Sure????

Yesterday I talked about recalling the place you were at when you asked Jesus into your heart and life.  After sharing that little tidbit, I can't help but tell the story of the first time I felt the Holy Spirit urge me to get out a pad and pen and start writing.  I had often kept a  journal of prayers and memories, but this was a sure "write this down now" calling.   

Our church was in the midst of moving.  The pastor had been preaching on salvation and dedicating your life to the Lord.  I was washing dishes and thinking about church things. (If you read recently, you know I always include talking with God with my dish washing)  I heard a little voice saying, "share with the church your whole testimony".  I immediately responded, "I can't do that.  I hate talking in front of crowds.  I will not be able to get my words out.  I don't want to take up everyone's time when we will be celebrating our new sanctuary."  But I just kept feeling a tug at my heart.  I then had the idea just to write it down.  I stopped washing right then and pulled out a notebook and pen.

Words had never been so easy to write.  They just kept coming.  Every detail was there and so vivid.  I loved the feeling of writing it down.  I loved how happy it made me.  Not only was I joyful over recalling the events, but also because I felt so wonderful just writing!

I read the story to my husband, who made me read it to our pastor, who persuaded me to read it that first Sunday in our new sanctuary.  (I couldn't say no or it would disprove my favorite verse - Phil 3:14)  I read my story that Sunday.  The story of the most important decision of my life.  The story I had felt the unbelievable urge to write down.  I'd like to share some of my story today...

I have posted before about peeping my eyes when the teacher asked if we had asked Jesus into our hearts.  I had raised my hand for yes because my cousin raised hers.  The feeling that I had NOT really asked Jesus into my heart just kept making me feel so funny.  I finally told the teacher, "I have to go with the others.  I HAVE to ask Jesus into my heart."  That caring teacher took us one by one into the "junk room" at the church and helped us pray.  I sat on an old box and prayed the sinner's prayer.  I was soooo excited.  I felt so different.  I couldn't wait to tell everyone!  I ran out and told my family, and I remember telling all my friends at school the next day.  Yes, some laughed at me, but I didn't care! 

The devil can make you doubt your salvation.  I remember when I was 16 having those doubts.  What if I was too young?  What if I really didn't understand?  What if I really wasn't saved?  I am so glad I had another caring teacher I could turn to for guidance.  I told her my concerns, and we prayed together (this time in the ladies' prayer room).  I gave my life to God that day.  No I have not been perfect since I was 16, and no I never will be.  But, I will never doubt if I am a child of God.  It was hard to admit I had been doubting, but I had to have that time with God.  Time to really talk about my doubts and really give my whole life to Him.

You may wonder if I was really saved at the age of 7, and yes I believe I was.  I knew I was a sinner.  I knew Jesus died for me.  I knew I HAD to ask Jesus into my heart. The Bible says we must have the faith of a child. (Mark 10:15).  But I am so glad I had that moment with God at the age of 16, and I have never had to doubt again. 

If you have a single doubt...please find someone to talk with!  You can have total assurance and it is the most awesome feeling in the world!  Please check out the "Not Sure?" page on the blog for verses and the Roman's Road is at the bottom of the page.

Today's Verse
"Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angles of God over one sinner that repenteth."  Luke 15:10

If you are doubting, let today be the day when the angels rejoice over you!



Roman's Road - Romans 3:23, 6:23, 5:8, 10:9-10, and 10:13


No comments:

Post a Comment