Wednesday, August 8, 2012

What's Cooking Wednesdays?


I was not able to make something “new” this week.  If you have ever seen the show Hoarders, that is what my kitchen looks like right now.  There is the smallest of paths and things are piled to the top of the ceiling.  It is absolutely crazy trying to make our way through the maze.  The girls are not liking being confined to one room!  We are getting new floors put in throughout the whole house with the exception of the kitchen.  Everything from our closets and all the toys are crammed into one room.  I am excited about the new floors, but the process is making me want to pull my hair out.  So, to not get too detailed, I was unable to prepare the recipes I was hoping to share with y’all.  I will still share some recipes, but no pictures are available.  I did prepare one of these recipes this weekend before the madness ensued, but I forgot to take a picture and it was gone in a flash J
These are my 2 most requested recipes, one of which calls for blueberries and it is that time of year!  Yummy!   I am sorry to my family and friends who already have these, but if you don’t have them I do hope you enjoy. J

Blueberry Pound Cake – Perfect for breakfast, brunch or dessert.  I sometimes make a basic glaze with powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract, but it is good without it too!  This slices easily and can be wrapped for bake sale items. 

1 package yellow or vanilla cake mix
¼ cup sugar
3 eggs
1  8 oz. package cream cheese
½ cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ¼ cups blueberries

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Grease and flour 10 in bundt pan.  In large bowl, stir together cake mix and sugar. Make a well in the center and pour in eggs, cream cheese (at room temp.), oil and vanilla.  Beat on low until blended and beat four minutes on medium.  Stir in blueberries.  Bake 40-55 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Cool in pan for 10 minutes until turning out on wire rack to finish cooling. 

Twice Baked Potato Skins – Feeds a crowd.  I make these often for family get-togethers and holidays.  These freeze well also, so I can make a batch and freeze for a quick side on busy weeknights.  I usually eye-ball the ingredients, so you might want to play with the measurements to see what taste you like best. 

5 lb. bag white potatoes

Wash potatoes and wrap in tin foil.  Bake at 325 for about an hour or hour and a half.  Unwrap and wait until cool enough to handle.  Cut and scoop insides out into a bowl being careful not to break the skins.  To the potato insides add…

3 or 4 Tbsp. melted butter
1/3 cup sour cream
1/4 cup skim milk
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 jar of real bacon bits
Salt and pepper to taste

Mash and stir ingredients together with the back of a spoon leaving a lot of chunks.  Spoon filling back into the potato skins.  Sprinkle tops with 1 ½ cups of blended shredded cheese (I use pizza or Mexican blend.)  Bake for another 15 -20 minutes at 375 degrees. 

Today’s Verse
Hebrews 12:8 “Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and for ever.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment