Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Back to school time

We are counting down the days until my oldest "baby" starts Kindergarten.  (Sniff, Sniff, Sniff!!!)

She begins in less than 2 weeks and she is very excited (thankfully).  No matter if you send your little ones off to school everyday or you homeschool, you must feed you little one three nutritious meals a day.  This can be a daunting task for any mother.  Not just the age old question "What's for dinner?", but also "What's for breakfast?  What's for lunch? and What's for snack?"

My mother...who yes was the best mother ever...packed my lunch everyday from the time I was in Kindergarten until I was a senior (and yes you are reading that right) in high school.  Now everyday of my life in elementary school I had a peanut butter and honey sandwich.  My pallet thankfully has expanded, but I was a very picky eater as a child. My husband had a ham sandwich everyday in his lunch box.  We are hoping to expand our little Kindergartner's lunch choices, and we have been practicing this summer.  Preschool was easy with just 2 days a week to pack lunch, but now we are talking 5 days a week.  YIKES!

My plan is to start answering these "What should we eat?" questions every Wednesday and share a recipe or two to try.  I am including 3 lunchbox ideas, a breakfast recipe and a nice surprise treat for that first week of school.  I hope you will find these helpful and will give them a try and enjoy!

Today's Verse
Proverbs 31:15a "She raiseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat (food) to her household..."






Homemade Ham "Lunchable"
Using a heart shape cookie cutter cut out deli sliced ham, whole wheat tortillias, and then add shredded cheese.  I was able to find a reusable, sectioned plastic container to package it like a real lunchable.  Include a fruit or carrot sticks and your little one is good to go!






 Homemade Pizza "Lunchable"

Using the same container, I added a 1/2 cup of pizza sauce.  (I found one by Preggo that says it has a full serving of veggies.)  Then I take 10 turkey pepperonis and quarter them to make the little triangles.  Add your little ones favorite shredded cheese.  For the crust, take a mini pita pocket and slice to make two separate "crusts".



                      Bean Quesadilla
This can be prepared in the microwave or on an indoor grill like a George Foreman.  Serve with salsa if your little one is adventurous.  My little one loves these hot or cold so they do pack well in the lunchbox.  Simply take a tortilla and place black-beans that have been drained and rinsed on one half.  Sprinkle with favorite cheese (my oldest daughter likes any white cheese while my youngest prefers yellow on hers) and fold other half over.  Then grill for 5 minutes or microwave for a minute and a half.

      

 Egg Cups
We love these for breakfast.  They also freeze really well.  You can double the recipe and freeze the leftovers, then pop them in the microwave for 2 minutes and have a hot and delicious breakfast in no time.  Simply spray a 6-cup muffin tin.  Place 2-3 Tbsp of frozen hashbrowns in the bottom of each muffin cup (I have also used leftover sliced baked potatoes).  You can add your own meat (bacon, sausage, or ham) or you can go meatless.  Over your meat, pour egg mixture.  I use low-fat egg product in the carton - 1 cup, or you can use 4 eggs mixed with a sprinkle of salt and pepper and 1/4 cup of skim milk. Then sprinkle with favorite cheese and bake for 20-30 minutes at 400 degrees or until set and golden brown.  Dad likes to eat these with a little salsa, but the girls like them as is!



Finally for a great afternoon treat or after dinner dessert I have homemade ice cream sandwiches!  Yummy!!!!  This would be an extra special treat for that first day back to school!

I used a boxed chocolate cookie mix and prepared as directed. You can also use a brownie mix with one stick of softened butter and one egg.  Drop onto cookie sheet in 1-2 tablespoon rounds.  Bake about 7 minutes. You want them to be soft.  Allow to cool.  Then you can add your favorite ice cream and freeze.  Or, to save calories, which is what I did with these pictured, I used fat-free whipped topping.  Place 2-3 tablespoons on a cookie and top with another cookie and freeze.  It will freeze to a similar consistency of ice cream and your little ones will never know they are better for you!!!!





I am linked up today!!! Check out the Women Living Well blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment