Tuesday, August 7, 2012

What is God?

In the middle of a lively discussion at our supper table last night, my 2 year old posed the question, "Mommy, What is God?"

I sat shocked.  What do I say?  How do I explain to my toddler the whole concept of God?  She knows we talk about Him, we sing about Him, we memorize verses about Him, we go to church to learn about Him, but how do I make her understand His holiness, His awesomeness, His love, His forgiveness...What is God?

I know it would be more appropriate to begin by correcting her and say the right way to ask about God would be to say "Who is God?".  He is an actual being.  We are made in His image.  He is not just an idea, He is real in every sense of the word real.  But, I did not get too technical.

My first response was, "God is who made you, remember?"  We then went around the table and talked about all the things God made and how everything we have is from God.  We didn't get too detailed.  We didn't make it too complicated.  Because thankfully God is not too complicated.  Yes it can feel like His love and forgiveness is unbelievable, but in all actuality, it is simple...so simple that all we must truly know is the John 3:16, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

God is the Creator of the world...Gen 1:1
God is forgiving...1 John 1:9
God is eternal life...1 John 5:11
God is faithful...1 Cor 1:9
God is a refuge...Ps 62:8
God is holy...1 Peter 1:16
God is power...1 Cor 4:20
God is mercy and hope...1 Peter 1:3
God is love...1 John 4:8b

"What is God?"

It is a great question to ask ourselves.  What is He to you?  What does He mean in your life?
My prayer is that your answer is...He is EVERYTHING to me!

Let's tell Him what He means to us.  Don't ask for anything.  Don't complain about anything.  Don't worry about anything...let's just simply sit and praise Him...tell Him how much He means to you!


Today's Verse
"God, thou art my God; early will  I seek thee:  my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee...to see thy power and thy glory...Because thy loving-kindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee.  Thus will I bless thee while I live:  I will lift up my hands in thy name.  My sould shall be satisfied...and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips."  Psalms 63:1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment