Tuesday, August 21, 2012

That's what friends are for!

How many friends do you have?  I mean really good and faithful friends.  What's the number?

My number might be kind of embarrassing.

Who's your best friend?


This has occurred to me over the course of these first days of Kindergarten.  My Kindergartner declared a new best friend the second day.  I was happy because she had been missing her best friend from Preschool. I was a little worried about how the whole process would go on finding a friend.  She knew children in the other Kindergarten class, but she did not know anyone in her own class.  But as always, the Lord answered this mama's prayers and sent someone for her to play with.

I met a great friend in Kindergarten.  I still remember the moment I met her. We were two peas in a pod. We roomed together in college and still remain in contact now.  I wanted that for my daughter!  I prayed for that for my daughter.  So when a best friend was declared, I was so happy!

My best friend on earth is my husband by far.  I am so thankful I can call him my best friend.  I tell him everything.  I can cry to him, complain to him and even get mad with him, and he still loves me and supports me!

I used the term best friend "on earth" for a reason.  I am sure you are aware of that :)


Would you consider God as your best friend?

I am even more thankful that I can use that same list for God.  He is my ultimate best friend.  I can cry to Him, complain to Him, and even get mad with Him, and He still loves me, supports me, answers me, and most importantly forgives me.  It has taken a lot of years to view God in this light as my best friend.  He is so powerful, so mighty, so incredible; He would never want to be a friend to little ol' me.  Oh but He does!  And oh how glad I am that He does!

Even though I have been thinking about friendship a lot lately, I read a verse this morning that made me really start thinking about the friendship we have with our Savior.  Yes we know "What a friend we have in Jesus", but would God think I am a good friend to Him?

I was reading a favorite passage in Isaiah 41.  I love verses 10 and 13, "Fear thou not:  for I am with thee:  be not dismayed:  for I am thy God:  I will strenthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.  For I the LORD thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee."

Such comfort. Such relief.  He is holding my hand.  He is helping me.  God is telling me to not by dismayed.  What a great friend!  But let's take a closer look at another verse a little further up.  Verse 8 says, "But thou, Israel art my servant, Jacob whom I have chosen, the seed of Abraham my friend."

Did you catch that?

God just called Abraham "my friend".

Can He say that about me?

Yes I depend on Him as a friend.  But do I truly treat Him like the friend He is, enough for Him to call me, "my friend"?

Friendships take communication and not just one way communication.  We have to not just talk to God as our friend, but also listen to Him.  He has to be able to depend on us.  He needs to know that we are faithful and He can call on us to complete a task, and we will complete what He has called us to do.  That's a friend and that's what I want God to be able to call me...Candice my friend.

Today's Verses
"Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.  Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth:  but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you."  John 15:14-15

We have all heard that Christians long to hear "Well done thou good and faithful servant" when we get to heaven.  And yes, I want to desperately hear that.  But I would love to hear God call me His friend as well.  Someone He could count on when He commanded me to do something.  I have a long ways to go, but I am working to be the best friend I can be to God...I know He is the best and the most perfect friend I will ever have!

No comments:

Post a Comment