Monday, March 11, 2013

Go Ahead and Disobey...just don't get caught!

Does anybody feel like they need their hour back?  Man am I tired today!  I was so thankful for today's teacher workday, I was rejoicing all day long!

We had a fabulous time in Georgia over the weekend.  It was wonderful seeing great friends, exploring a new state with our girls, and seeing fun and exciting things as we traveled.  The girls did great on their longest road trip to date.  Mom, on the other hand, was a little anxious being in the car that long.    The trip there had everything from bad traffic and construction to a very bad dining experience.  I was so glad to make it to our first hotel stop, I would have slept anywhere.  The trip overall was a blessing and we are so glad for any time we get to spend together as a family.

One of our adventures was to the Georgia Aquarium.  It was awesome!  I am very claustrophobic, so I did have difficulties dealing with the crowds, but the excitement of my girls kept me going.  While there we were able to see the dolphin show.  It is amazing how smart God made those creatures.  The tricks and jumps those animals do is just astonishing.  The girls loved every minute of it!  Before the show the announcer came over the intercom to give a few rules and guidelines.  One of the rules was to not take any photos or videos of the performance.  So when the flashes started soon after the show, my oldest daughter was so upset.  These people were not following the rules and she could not understand why.

She was not aware of the little conversation I had overheard right behind us as the show had begun.  There was a little girl my daughters age right behind us.  Her mother gave her the camera as the show was starting.  She told her she had turned the flash off so she could take pictures.  But she warned her not to get caught.  She preceded to tell her that everyone had been asked not to take pictures, but they would let her do it anyway.  She again reminded her not to get caught.

Now I am in no way judging, but I couldn't believe my ears.  To tell a young child to go ahead a break the rules, but just don't get caught was beyond anything I could fathom.  I later imagined myself telling my girls, "Yes go ahead and cheat on that test, but don't get caught."  Or, "Girls, it is ok to steal that candy, but just don't get caught."

Are there rules in my life that I ignore?

This has been the question in my mind as I have been thinking about what happened.

Speed Limit Violations
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
No U-turns!
Have no other gods before Me.
Pretending not to be home when the doorbell sounds or the phone rings.
Love thy neighbor as thyself.
That light was still yellow!
Keep the Sabbath day holy.

The list was pretty long as I thought of rules and other things that I sometimes ignore.  It's not that I don't think these things apply to me, I just have a tenancy to overlook them somedays.

I don't want to ever look at my girls and tell them to not follow a rule.  But just like my observant daughter saw when others were not following the rules, she sees when mommy doesn't follow them either.  I pray they never think it is ok to break a commandment, or a law, or tell a "white" lie.  I pray they never think they can disobey and it will be ok as long as they do not get caught.  I want to be the best example I can be for them.  Yes I am going to make mistakes, but I pray I own up to those mistakes, ask for their forgiveness when I mess up, and try try try again.

I am thankful for forgiveness today and everyday!  And I am thankful I can teach my girls of His amazing love and forgiveness today and everyday!

Today's Verse
1 John 1:9
"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."



No comments:

Post a Comment