Wednesday, March 20, 2013

What's Cookin' Wednesday!

So chili weather should sooooo be over, but it is looking like a good bowl of chili weather here in NC this weekend!  I prepared this a few weeks ago.  I froze the other half and we are eating this for supper this weekend!

My base for any of my chili recipes is usually the same, but the additions are always a little different.  It makes it exciting and a topic of conversation about what we like best at the dinner table.

Base...
1 16 oz can tomato sauce
1 can tomatoes with green chilies
1 4 oz can tomato paste
1 can chili beans (not drained)

Seasonings to taste...
Cumin
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Chili Powder
Salt and Pepper

After I take the girls' servings out I add...
Cayenne Pepper
Red Pepper flakes
A few Tbsp of pickled jalapenos

I then add other items depending on what I have on hand and if we are going meatless (Or I may add it all)...
Ground and cooked hamburger
Drained and Rinsed Kidney Beans
Drained and Rinsed Black Beans
Drained and Rinsed Pinto Beans


But on this day I tried something different.  I took a 1 lb flat iron steak and placed on my indoor grill for just about 3-4 minutes.  I let it rest for 15 minutes and then cut into big chunks.  It was very rare.  I placed in my chili mixture in the crock pot on low.  About 6 hours later I shredded the meat with a fork into the chili.  It was sooooo tender and very tasty!  I will definitely add this way to my list.  I hope your family enjoys!

My hubby's bowl full of cheese and tortilla chips...just like he likes it!

The girls and I also made a new Nutella cookie recipe.  I have seen this done many ways, but this is what we came up with.  There are many versions that do not use any type of flour to make this glutten free, but I like to have my cookie dough, well for lack of a better word...doughy! So we added a little bisquick.  It is a lot of sugar, but it is soooo tasty!

1 cup of sugar
1 cup of peanut butter
1/2 cup bisquick
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

Mix ingredients and form into 1 inch balls.  Roll dough in extra sugar and make indention in the center.  Bake at 350 on a parchment lined baking sheet for 7 minutes.  Remove and fill indentions with 1/2 tsp Nutella.  Bake for another 3 minutes.  If you love PB and chocolate, this is the recipe for you!




Lot's of chocolate smiles from girls with this one!


Today's Verse
"These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full."  John 15:11


No comments:

Post a Comment