Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Changes Continued

So what are some other things that have changed in the church?  Besides the different versions of the Bible being taught and music, there are countless of other things.  I forgot to add a brief thing concerning the music in the church.  I know the older generation of people in my life do not like the "canned" music as they call it, or instrumentals on CD.  They believe that just the piano and organ should be played while singing praises to the Lord.  But, it is my understanding that congregations did not take to well to the addition of the organ to begin with many years ago.  Just a thought!  Look how far we've come!  Some churches have entire bands and orchestras on stage - wow!

I was walking on my college campus (It was a secular college.) when I was a freshman.  We had a "preacher" that liked to preach on the campus. (He did have to get permission, but he was able to preach in what we called the brickyard a couple of times a week.)  He pointed straight to me, even though there were close to 100 students gathered around him, and said I was going to hell because I was wearing pants.  I proceeded to tell him that I was not going to hell and was saved, but I embarrassed and not much on confrontation, so I walked away!  Why and how could he say that?  The Bible says "whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" (Rom 10:13).  It does not have any qualifiers in there and especially nothing about how the person doing the calling should be dressed!

Now although I do wear pants every day of the week, for the most part, I cannot bring myself to wear pants on Sunday to church.  I do not think there is a thing wrong with it.  That is becoming the popular thing or the "norm".  "Man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart." (1 Sam 16:7)  God does not care how we dress when we worship, but that our heart is clean and focused on Him.  Jesus Himself associated with sinners of all kinds when He was on the earth, much to the disapproval of others.  I am certain He never once questioned what anyone was wearing.  

Yet my conservative side that is so engraved in my thoughts tells me to wear my Sunday best, to be modest at all times, and only wear a skirt or dress on Sunday mornings.  Is there anything wrong with that?  Should I be judged for that thought?  I don't want someone to come to our little church and think, who is she trying to impress or what is she trying to prove?  Again, I am torn!  

Today's Verse
"Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular (meaning - individually)" 1 Cor 12:27

The church is labeled as "the body of Christ" in the New Testament.  We are members and in a sense the parts of the body.  Do you function well where you are?  Do you feel accepted and comfortable to worship Christ?  I think that is what matters in our worship on Sundays and Wednesdays and whatever other times you may walk through the doors of your church.  It is just important that you are part of a church.  You need to have a church family that can support you, help you grow, and encourage you!  There is not going to be a perfect church out there.  The church is made of us - sinners!  We are all sinners and things are going to go wrong.  But, there is a place for you to worship out there.  There is a place that will have music you like (at least for the most part), preaching that inspires and touches you, and people that will not judge your appearance no matter how you feel comfortable going.  Find it!  Embrace changes or find the one that is not changed too much for your liking.  As long as the church is focused on The One that Never Changes!

No comments:

Post a Comment