Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A Whisper of Encouragement

Do you ever need encouragement?  We all do.  We need to know there is someone there thinking about us, praying for us, and even fighting for us.  When I wrote on serving our Lord, I talked on not doing it for pats on the back.  But, there are those times when a pat is what we need to stay in service in the ministry.  There have been times I have wanted to quit everything at once and walk away from our small church.  So many times, that I am ashamed thinking about it.  But, there was always an encouraging word from some unexpected person just when I needed it that kept me going for a little longer.

This weekend we had a Carnival at our church.  At 5 minutes until it was time to start, we had about 20 workers and 5 children.  I went to a room and prayed and begged that more would come.  I had a moment where a dart of doubt was thrown and I thought, "this is it, I will never plan anything else ever again".  But, my pastor's wife came to me with that encouraging word out of nowhere.  She told me if only our kids were there, they would feel special knowing they had a church that loved them.  I needed that.  And just for an FYI, we had close to 70 people before the day was over!  Thank you Lord!  

In Deuteronomy there is a verse where Moses is going to be handing things over to Joshua.  He is putting him in command.  In chapter 3 verse 28 we read "But charge Joshua, and encourage him, and strengthen him:"  Moses was to be an encouragement to Joshua.  With that encouragement, strength was also going to be provided.  Strength to carry out the huge task.  Strength to lead God's people.  Encouragement and strength is always needed to carry out the plans God has for us!

Verse for Today
Ps 147:3 "He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds (or sorrows)."

Do you know someone who could use an encouraging word today?  God can use you to speak words that just might help heal a broken heart.  I was reading a story on suicide in the Focus on the Family magazine today.  It breaks my heart to think someone is so discouraged to take their on life.  Is there someone you know that needs to be uplifted?  Maybe they are not on the brink of something so tragic, but they are down.  We are all hurting or in need of some sort of answer from God.  We all have an unspoken request that we are praying to be answered.  Ask God to lay upon our hearts someone we can be that encouraging word to today!  Someone who needs a call, a hug, or a card with a verse or whisper of encouragement.  He can certainly do anything, so lets ask to be an encouragement to someone today!

No comments:

Post a Comment