Monday, August 22, 2011

Storms Equal Comfort

Storms are a scary thing for me.  Every definition of the word can bring terror and make my imagination run wild with the possibilities.  An actual thunderstorm can cause sheer panic, if I let.  Then there are the hurricane kind of storms that can bring on the fears.  There is also the memories of the tornado I went through as a child, and the thought it could happen again, that can send me in a tailspin.  There are also the storms of life that can bring on anxiety and stress.  No matter the forms of it, storms equal turbulence.

We had bad storms last night in our area.  The lightening was flashing, the thunder was shaking the house, and the rain and winds were howling.  Our 17 month old slept right through it all.  Our 4 year old, on the other hand, was not about to go to sleep.  The lights were flickering and electronic things were beeping with every thunder crash.  Even the toys in the toy box were all talking after one loud boom!  That was kind of scary in itself.  We let our daughter stay up on the couch with us.  She could feel safe and we could keep an eye out in case the weather become worse.  

I used to get extremely terrified in storms, especially after the tornado.  My parents always let me get in the bed with them during a storm, so we have the same policy in our house.  Storms equals a sleepover with mom and dad!  That equals comfort for Macie and Emmie, but not so much for Mom and Dad (except the comfort knowing they are right there with us in case of an emergency).  It is one cramped Queen size been with us four in it!  

When Macie was born, I realized storms were an awesome chance to show her how powerful our Lord was.  He makes the storms, every kind of storm.  He controls them.  And though we often cannot understand the devastation caused by them, He has a plan for the devastation.  I was able to calm down during the thunderstorms and show her how we trust God will keep us safe during the thundering and lightening.  That's not to say we will never jump at a loud boom, but after I will take a deep breath and remind her and myself that we are in His hands. 

So if I can use the weather to show her this comfort, can I not show her the same comfort in the storms of life.  I have had a couple of opportunities just this morning to show her God is in control.  Did I have the best response right off the bat?  I can tell you I did not in the beginning, but God pulled on my heart to show Macie how He has us in His hands always and not just on stormy nights.  He wants to be right there for us during the storms of life, just like I want to be right there with my children through the thunderstorms.  Things didn't start out the best for us with long awaiting vacation plans having to be changed (because of an actual hurricane non the less) and some things involving Macie's school becoming a challenge.  How could this be handled?  Should we show the distress this was causing or show that we were leaning on the Lord for guidance?  We have to lean on Him.  Not just for our own sake, but for the sake of our children who are watching and seeing how we handle storms.

Today's Verse
"My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations (or various trials); Knowing this that the trying of your faith worketh (or produces) patience."  James 1:2-3

I know I don't think of trials in life as something to be joyful over, but if it helps grow my children's faith and my own it should be looked upon that way.  After the storm there is relief, no matter what the storm is.  Things are not going to go like we want them to all the time.  This is life and God has a purpose for it.  That is the peace we have and that is what can make the storms equal comfort!

No comments:

Post a Comment