Wednesday, October 10, 2012

What's Cookin' Wednesday

I have a love-hate relationship for cube steak.  I love it because it is cheap!  I hate it because of multiple reasons...

- It can be super tough!
- I was not a fan of it as a child.  I ate it, but it definitely wasn't my favorite!
- I have one of my most horrible cooking stories with a  cube steak recipe.

I will tell my story, but first, a tender and tasty cube steak recipe!

I like to take the the cube steak and dredge in a mixture of all-purpose flour, pinch of salt, pinch of pepper, and garlic powder.  Then in a frying pan with a couple of Tbsp of olive oil and melted butter brown the meat, but do not cook all the way through.  Just 2-3 minutes on each side.  You may also add in chopped onions and/or bell peppers if you like.  In a small bowl whisk together one can of cream of chicken soup with 1/3 cup water.  If not using onions you may want to whisk in some onion powder for flavor.  Pour this mixture over the meat.  Place the frying pan in a 275 degree oven.  Important note, if the frying pan handle is not oven proof or if you are not sure, just cover in aluminum foil and it will be fine.  Cooking low and slow will help tenderize the meat, but browning before adds lots of flavor and a little texture.  Cook for an hour to an hour and a half.  It is good served with rice or mashed potatoes.  Easy supper!  I love preparing during afternoon snack time and then it is ready when supper time rolls around.  You can adjust the cooking temp and time if need to, but just remember the lower and slower the more tender!




Now for my horrible cube steak story...

My husband and I had only been married a few weeks.  I had never had my own slow cooker and I was excited about using the one we had received as a wedding present.  I tried recipe after recipe and they all were pretty good.  One day I tried a new cube steak recipe.  When I opened the door after returning home from work I was met with the worst smell.  I don't know what was wrong, and I am not sure what made it smell so bad, but even my husband who always told me my cooking was good said we couldn't eat it.  The smell stayed in our little apartment for two days!  We had to throw it out (which as you know I hate to waste food) and head to the fast food restaurant.  I didn't cook cube steak for years until I read a recipe similar to this one and decided to try again.  Now this is the only way I make it...hope your family enjoys!

No comments:

Post a Comment