Monday, January 28, 2013

I love spending time with you...

Well we are thawing out here in NC.  Only here can we have ice and sleet and less than a week later expect temps in the 70s.  We have the best of both worlds, that's why I love it here so much!  We had early dismissal from school on Friday and a delay this morning, so we have been in the house a little extra this weekend.  Lot's of family time...good and bad!  Fun with the games and hot chocolate and movies we watched.  Not so fun with the cabin fever and running and little squabbles with the girls.  But I wouldn't trade any of it for a thing!

Last week my almost 3 year old and I went to the store to gather a few supplies for the weekend.  My little one is growing and has been asking more and more to walk in the store and not ride in the cart.  Well she had been great all morning, so I gave in.  We were cruising down the isles and she was being a great helper, when she stopped and looked up with her huge brown eyes.  I was not prepared for what came next.  She said, very sincerely, "I love spending time with you Mommy!"  I knew that was what she had said, but I had to ask her to say it again.  She again, smiling big, said, "Mommy I love spending time with you."

I teared up; I stopped and hugged her tight.  I looked at her and told her that I loved spending time with her as well.  Through the potty training arguments, the picky eating that threatens to drive me cray, the terrible two tantrums, and all the lovely things that comes with a toddler, my little angel said words I will hold in my heart forever.  Yes, I am sure she has heard it from somewhere else.  And, I know she might not truly understand what it means, but it warmed my heart more than I could have imagined.

I truly love spending time with my girls.  They are a gift from God, and although there are days when I want to pull my hair out, I wouldn't trade a moment for a billion dollars.  I have heard it said, and I have probably even typed it here before... the days are long but the years fly by.  Every season of motherhood has it's difficulties, but it is a blessing to be called mother.

When reflecting on this little scene, I was thinking as a parent how much those words meant to me.  I then began thinking, "Have I ever said that to my heavenly Father?  Do I let Him know that I love spending time with Him...in prayer, in reading, in studying, in worship and praise.?"  He would love to hear those words from His children, just as I loved hearing them from my own.  Am I only spending time with Him when I need something, or do I truly seek to spend time with Him everyday because He loves me and I love Him?

Today's Verse
"The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty;  he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love; he will joy over thee with singing."  Zephaniah 3:17

God is with us; He loves us and rejoices over us.  He longs to spend time with us, not because we have to or  feel like we need to, but just because we want to.  I challenge us today to grab our Bibles, tell our children we need a few minutes alone, and tell God how much He means to us.  Tell Him we love spending time with Him.  To hear my child say those words made my day, I can't imagine how it would make God's day if He heard it from all His children!

No comments:

Post a Comment