Thursday, January 10, 2013

Creeping In

In my post last Thursday, I referred to the song 10,000 Reasons by Matt Redman.  (If you haven't heard it, I encourage you to look it up on YouTube and listen to it!)  The last two sentences of the first verse is part of my prayer for this year.  No matter what, "Whatever may pass, and whatever lies before me, let me be singing when the evening comes."

http://mansionmoms.blogspot.com/2013/01/boring.html

Well, imagine my excitement and peace when we sang this very song at our church on Sunday.

I came back from stepping out of the worship center during fellowship time.  I opened the doors to be greeted with the congregation singing this wonderful song.  I felt the biggest smile come on my face.  I was a little disappointed that I had missed the majority of the song, but I was so glad to sing the end.  I was in for a great surprise when our pastor came up to the pulpit to begin the sermon only to decide he wanted us to sing the song again.  I almost jumped up and down!  I was truly ecstatic to hear and sing the whole song.

I was on cloud nine for the rest of the day and Monday...but then it started creeping in!

Fear!!!!

I began thinking...what could happen to test my prayer this year?  So many things could go wrong and my singing could be stopped.  The bad thoughts started whirling along with all the terrible scenarios that could take place.  Could I really sing my praises to God at the end of the day if any of these fears actually happened?  My joy was being sucked away and replaced with a gripping fear of what may come in 2013!

Then, a series of events began to take place.  Events that could only come from God to calm my troubled heart.  Devotions with a lasting effect.  Verses to turn my focus away from the "what might could happen" and towards my heavenly Father.

It began with me beginning a new book that directed me to Psalms 103 where I read..."Bless the LORD, O my soul:  and all that is within me, bless his holy name.  Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:  Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;  Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowned thee with lovingkindess and tender mercies; Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things"  verses 1-5a.  These words are used in the chorus of the song!

Then a calming devotion Tuesday by Dr. Charles Stanley where he wrote, "How, then, can we rejoice when we face trouble?  It is through our hardships that Christ often makes Himself known to us.  If we lived trouble-free lives, what need would we have for a Savior?  Rather, it's because we live fragile lives that we can see Jesus clearly.  When we face a problem head-on with the certainty that God will provide a solution and the strength to endure, we gain spiritual stamina."
http://www.intouch.org/magazine/content.aspx?topic=Overcoming_Life_s_Ups_and_Downs_Devotional#.UO87sW9EHdQ

Deep breath.

It is going to be ok.  Fear go away.  Get thee behind me Satan.  Whatever comes this year, I am facing it with my focus on God and not on the fear that was creeping in.

And then, for the icing on the cake...my almost 3 year old wanted to sing this morning with her new guitar.  Without any prompting from me, she began to strum the strings and sing to the top of her lungs over and over again..."OOOOOO my soul".

That might be the only part she could remember, but it was the only part I needed to chase any fears left away!

Today's Verse
"Trust in him at all times"  Psalms 62:8




No comments:

Post a Comment