Wednesday, January 16, 2013

What's Cookin' Wednesday!

So, in a quest to eat a little healthier this year, the theme has to be to try something new.  Boring food is, well, just that...BORING!

As a child, I refused to try anything new.  Even in the beginning of being a young wife, I was suck on the same old dishes with not much variety.  It was not until my oldest daughter was about 2 did I realize I wanted her to eat healthy and that in turn meant I needed to make some changes.  I began trying veggies and really trying to eat more fruit and fresh produce.  This same girl who refused a salad at my own bridesmaid luncheon, now eats a salad almost daily.

So this year I am trying to avoid the croutons and the cheese on that salad...so here are the new things I am trying out and I encourage to try something new in your family too!  You may not like my choices so pick something else.  Set a small goal and try to stick to it...rather it be eating one piece of fruit a day or eliminating croutons from a salad.

I had heard of Arugula on the food network for years, so when I finally saw it in the store recently, I had to try it.  The package, which is just like the spinach package, describes it as bold and zesty.  The food network often describes it as peppery.  I have been using this in my salads as well as on my turkey wraps for a little something new and a little kick. It is tasty!  Also on my salads, I have been using wasabi peas.  This is not advised if you do not like spicy spicy spicy food.  These are  a hot little treat, but it provides great crunch and exactly what I needed to add pizzazz to my salad.  This mama's lunch box just got a make over and it is tasty!

The wrap is simply a tortilla, shaved thin turkey meat, 2 Tbps sun-dried tomatoes and 1/4 cup frugal leaves.  I use mustard on my wraps.  The salad is spinach, arugula, carrots, tomatoes and a sprinkle of peas with fat free Italian.  Good Stuff!



As for the recipe from yesterday, I was trying to make cereal coated french toast sticks.  The cereal was scorching in my pan no matter the heat and I even tried 2 different pans.  So I took the remaining 6 pieces of bread and cubed it with 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries and baked at 400 for about 15-20 minutes.  I served with syrup.  The girls and I loved it.  The bread had been dipped in 2 eggs and 1/2 cup of milk and 1 tsp of cinnamon.  I think I can definitely "play" with this recipe to make it a little better, but I was glad I didn't have to throw anything away!

So I hope your family enjoys and I hope you will try something new in the coming weeks!  You never know...you just might like something!


Today's Verse
"But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength"  Isaiah 40:31a




No comments:

Post a Comment