Wednesday, January 9, 2013

What's Cookin' Wednesday!

So I am feeling a little bad for last week's chocolate post during the most popular week for vowing to eat healthier.  So I hope to redeem myself today.  I begin with a black bean burger that my girls and even my meat loving husband loved!!!  YAY!  I am sure you may of heard of the "meatless Mondays" concept before, but I think it could be used on a busy Monday night or a relaxing weekend supper!  Also, as a twist, we had our "burgers" on toasted english muffins.  Tasty.

I prepared the dessert recently when having pulled pork sandwiches.  I prepared a lean pork loin in the crock pot with just seasoning salt, onion powder, garlic powder and chili powder and then shredded the meat and put on hotdog buns.  The girls ate their sandwiches plain, but my husband and I had a hot, hot, and did I say hot sauce.  We are from Easter North Carolina, home of the vinegar based bar-b-q.  I mixed a little melted butter, apple cider vinegar, a touch of kethup, Worcestershire sauce, a touch of brown sugar, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, hot sauce, and ground pepper flakes.  (So after that bonus recipe)  Around here, banana pudding and bar-b-q go hand in hand.  So I made healthy banana pudding cups.

So here is to eating a little healthier in 2013 and I hope your family enjoys!!!


Black Bean Burgers

1 can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
1/4 cup of egg product (or 1 egg)
2/3 cups of panko crumbs

I blended the beans in a small food processor before adding to a bowl and mixing in egg and panko crumbs.  From this point I removed enough for my 2 daughters.  I formed small patties and sprinkled with a touch of salt.  Then I added...

1 small seeded and chopped roma tomato
1 Tbsp chopped pickled jalepeno
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried cilatro

Form patties and place on indoor grill (like a Foreman Grill) and cook for about 8-10 minutes.  These could also be cooked in a nonstick skillet for 4-6 minutes each side.  The girls put a little cheese on theirs.  My husband and I put a little salsa and guacamole on ours.  Delish!



As for the banana pudding, the girls and I made a regular  instant vanilla pudding mix with skim milk.  In a small bowl, crumble a half of sheet of graham cracker in large chunks, top with 3 Tbsp of the vanilla pudding, top with 1/2 of chopped banana and drizzle with 1 tsp of caramel topping.  It taste decadent for very few calories!




Today's Verse

The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him."  Lam 3:24



No comments:

Post a Comment