Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Big Game

Well the big day is a few days away!  Some of you ladies, you might be scratching your head and saying, "What!! Christmas is behind us!". But I am not talking holidays, I am talking football.  I am a lover of sports. I understand football.  I love watching any game the Wolfpack plays (except last night).  ACC games are important, and I can even watch a good game without my husband home.  I am in no way an athlete, but I am a great fan!  I have asked him several times does he like having a sports loving wife, and he says yes.  I believe him!  

So back to the big day...I am talking football...and more importantly I am talking the Super Bowl.  We don't just watch for the commercials or half time show.  Nor do we watch for the food, even thought that is a great part.  We watch for the game!

The 49ers will take on the Ravens as brother is pitted against brother.  The coaches for the two teams are brothers, and it is the first match-up of its kind.  Talk about sibling rivalry.  It should be a great game!


But, never the less, the food is a great part of the evening as well.  I have already shared most of my recipes that I make on Super Bowl night... guacamole, spinach dip, and french dip sandwiches are part of our usual spread.  I also make chocolate fondue for strawberries and other goodies.  (Yes you have to plan for a night of a little food splurges.)  This year, I will be making a treat I made over our icy weekend...Roasted Chickpeas.  Chickpeas are what we make hummus out of, and this treat is addictive.  They are great plain or on a salad.  They are very nutty and you can use any spice you would like.  Simple and healthy.  Also, I have a great peanut butter bars that are very tasty, and they travel well.  I took these to a recent community group at church and they were a hit.  So if you are watching with a group this is a great dessert to take.  No matter if you are watching the big game or not,  I hope you try these treats and your family enjoys!



Roasted Chickpeas


1 or 2 cans of chickpeas - rinsed, drained, and patted dry with a paper towel (drying is essential)

Olive oil spray
Spices of your choice...examples - Italian spice blend and garlic; seasoning salt; chili powder, or if you like it really spicy cayenne pepper

I tried chili powder and a little seasoning salt this time, and it was good.  Line your 10x15 pan with tin foil.  Put your chickpeas on sprayed pan and spray the tops as well.  Sprinkle seasoning and shake pan well to evenly distribute.  Make sure beans are not touching...this is very important.  I learned that if they are touching they are steaming and not roasting and they will not get as crunchy.  Bake at 375 for about 20-30 minutes or until the desired crunchy factor,  and shaking the pan every 10 minutes.  So good!




PB and Choc Cookie Bars

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking pwd
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup pb chips
2/3 cup choc chips

Preheat oven to 325.  Cream butter and pb.  Then add sugars.  Next beat in 1 egg at time and last vanilla.  In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients.  Slowly add to dry mix.  Mix well and then incorporate both flavored chips.  Spread in a greased 13x9 pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until browned and toothpick comes out clean.  





Today's Verse

"Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves."  Philippians 2:3




French dips - http://mansionmoms.blogspot.com/2012/10/let-goodies-begin.html

No comments:

Post a Comment